Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I give in...it's time to buy a heart rate monitor to improve my training regime. I hear Polar is the best. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just simple and accurate. Thanks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am not so sure that Polar is the best, it is surly the biggest, and they do have the most features etc... but, I used Polar for years, and I always had problems getting readings, no matter what I did.
Finally last year I bought one made by Sports Instruments, and it works like a charm every time and all the time, now it has less features then the polar, but it does what it is supposed to do, always.

marc180 said:
Ok, I give in...it's time to buy a heart rate monitor to improve my training regime. I hear Polar is the best. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just simple and accurate. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
marc180 said:
I like my timex with data recorder, so you can download it afterwards to review your session. The GPS is cool too.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Depending on how simple you want, I like the Sigma Sport PC14 for $35 at Nashbar and similar places. Current, average, max, HR, and some lap and stopwatch functions. Calorie calculator, though it's as useless as the rest are. If you want a few more functions, look at the rest of their line. Bargains to be had.

Not sure if it's still the case, but Polar chest straps used to need to be sent in for battery changes. Most of the other brands are more user-serviceable WRT batteries.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've also had good luck with the Sports Instruments hrm. They are a bit of a trick to figure out in the beginning but once you get it, they are very easy to use, with a variety of functions.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I bought the cheapy dB 500 from Performance. Does what I want, haven't had a problem with it, and no interference from my Cateye Double wireless speed/cadence.

·
Registered
238 Posts
sports instruments, suunto

i got a sports instruments and suunto hrm. the si works fine. i got a basic model ecg 3 and never misses. only got the suunto x3hr because i wanted an altimeter too. only $115 with my 20% off rei discount.

it's nice the prices are all coming down with competition.

john

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use a Polar S710 and have never had a problem with it. Gets a signal every time. Also, the altitude feature is cool because you can see how much climbing you did at the end of a ride. The only downside is the price.

I have also used a Timex which was also good. It had less features, but the strap and HR functions worked fine. I believe it was around $100.

·
fuzzy legs
39 Posts
Polar here

I've used the 720i and the currently using the 625X, although it's a bit confusing to use, I really like it. Great readings, very accurate, the run function is awesome too.

The only gripe I have (not meant to hijack this thread) and perhaps someone can help. The USB uplink tool, if I unplug the usb module from my computer I crash to the blue screen of death. I've tried reinstalling drivers, different computer, latest software, etc. etc. Polar doesn't seem to have an answer for me.

b.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bought the latest Polar 725X about two months ago together with the power monitor. Does everything but make coffee. Took a bit to learn to drive it but really happy with it. Purchased from http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ as this was the best price I could find. Totally overkill if you're just after a heart monitor.

bones. Hope I'm not stating something too basic!: With the USB uplink plugged in do you get an icon in the system tray (bottom right of desktop - XP system). It normally refers to the attached device. If so, and if you right click this icon you will get an option to "stop" the device. Click and follow any other "stop" options and you'll eventually get a message saying "It is now safe to remove the device".

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the S625X, which is a great little toy with all of its features, but after 6 months I only use the % of max heart rate and distance traveled. As I already had a cycling computer, it I were to do it again, I would get a more basic model and save some money.

The USB IR port is a royal pain. First off, go to the Polar site and make sure that you have the latest software. Then, if you still can't download from your HRM, try the following.

It may be black magic, but the only sequence of actions that works for me is to first use the HRM to calculate "OwnOptimizer", start the software, switch HRM to "connect", click on the green button, and then mate the IR window of the HRM to the IR device. Finally pray.

I find that without running OwnOptimizer first, there is no connection. This means that you can download only about 2x's per week, but that should not be too much of an issue. But it is frustrating, that the system does not work as advertised. Polar tech help is useless.

Marc, do yourself a favor and get the most basic HRM that will allow you to log your progress manually.

·
Registered
387 Posts
sports instruments bad for me.

I just sent my s.i back to them to see if I can get a replacement. Worked for the first 5 months, then it started losing the signal in the exact same place, like right next to my house. I replaced the batteries in the strap & watch. Same thing happened, then the watch went dead about a week ago.

The s.i works, but it has a lot of extraneous info, like the 3 automatic training zones, which don't really tell you anything. Also, it doesn't have max hr, which is annoying.

BTW, i have the fit 3 model. its about $70 retail.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Just got my Garmin Edge 305 with HR and cadence for $269...works great and very easy to use....the GPS functions work great and the whole cost of it is less than a Polar....

Flash

·
Registered
154 Posts
Polar S725x here. Love the software that comes w/it - it has surreptitiously forced me to keep a training log w/very little effort. Now if I could only use the other 3/4 of the functions I haven't figured out I'm sure I'd be even more impressed!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I've been using the Polar 725 for almost 2 years now and haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood). Altitude/temp features are great. Software is good. No problems with the USB infrared either. 2 thumbs up from me.

Lou.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts