Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having fallen in love with my new Strong, I have sold off 4 bikes and have jumped in queue for another bike from the custom capital of the Free World, Bozeman Montana. The Kirk will be totally different from the Strong which turned out as below. Originally the color was going to be a royal plum that I got off the Kirk gallery but it could not be reproduced in powder, so I ended up with something quite different. The Kirk will be an ode to the great De Rosa classic Primato, lugged, horizontall TT, with flat crown fork. Some other ideas: 1) I really like the "copper" colored cars that have cropped up all over the place, and wonder how that could translate to a vintage looking frame. 2) Green and white like the De Rosa below is alway classic, a very different green than the Strong. 3) I love Caterham's classic De Rosa, and the Pogliaghi below it. 4) Painting the lugs a different color is beautiful when it works, and a pimp out when it doesn't. Dave H's custom fixie, works beautifully to my eye. I am also not married to a quill stem and I could go with a painted stem like Dave did. 5) Blue is alway great, like the two De Rosas that I formerly owned and many different colors work with it. 6) not a color that I normally think about, but ZMud's fuscia De Rosa sparkles in the Arizona sun, it is absolutely stunning.
Any suggestions would be considered; figuring out a custom is fun, but riding it is even better.
b21

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
barry1021 said:
Having fallen in love with my new Strong, I have sold off 4 bikes and have jumped in queue for another bike from the custom capital of the Free World, Bozeman Montana. The Kirk will be totally different from the Strong which turned out as below. Originally the color was going to be a royal plum that I got off the Kirk gallery but it could not be reproduced in powder, so I ended up with something quite different. The Kirk will be an ode to the great De Rosa classic Primato, lugged, horizontall TT, with flat crown fork. Some other ideas: 1) I really like the "copper" colored cars that have cropped up all over the place, and wonder how that could translate to a vintage looking frame. 2) Green and white like the De Rosa below is alway classic, a very different green than the Strong. 3) I love Caterham's classic De Rosa, and the Pogliaghi below it. 4) Painting the lugs a different color is beautiful when it works, and a pimp out when it doesn't. Dave H's custom fixie, works beautifully to my eye. I am also not married to a quill stem and I could go with a painted stem like Dave did. 5) Blue is alway great, like the two De Rosas that I formerly owned and many different colors work with it. 6) not a color that I normally think about, but ZMud's fuscia De Rosa sparkles in the Arizona sun, it is absolutely stunning.
Any suggestions would be considered; figuring out a custom is fun, but riding it is even better.
b21
here are the two de rosas and Zmud's bike I was referencing

G

·
Deep green, maybe metal flake.

Don't know if you want to do panels or not, but regardless, a dark green looks to die for.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I say something with a flake. That Green De Rosa does look classic and done with a flake'd look mint.

I also like painted lugs. I'm over panels, a bit dated - got a few myself.

Love Kirk's work. Don't like his logo though -still want one.

Have to say at the moment I like garish/technical paint like that of Baylis or Mercian's double sided Paul Smith designed paint. Not because it always looks good, because it's very diff and clever. Methinks not many are into/will go down that route!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DannyBoy said:
I say something with a flake. That Green De Rosa does look classic and done with a flake'd look mint.

I also like painted lugs. I'm over panels, a bit dated - got a few myself.

Love Kirk's work. Don't like his logo though -still want one.

Have to say at the moment I like garish/technical paint like that of Baylis or Mercian's double sided Paul Smith designed paint. Not because it always looks good, because it's very diff and clever. Methinks not many are into/will go down that route!!!!:cool:
Yeah i like to look at them, but don't think I would want one. I want something a bit unique, but still classic. If i went with something like the green De Rosa with flake, is there anything with the lugs that would look good? One or two shade darker green perhaps??

b21

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
Copper coloured would be cool--not sure if you could replicate in powder.

It seems to me that a colour like this was around in the '70s--Falcon had something like this--what the Brits called "Flamboyant" aka "orange flam"

I wanted to buy this frame! (Sorry guys for being tempted by the dark side...:blush2: )

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
paredown said:
Copper coloured would be cool--not sure if you could replicate in powder.

It seems to me that a colour like this was around in the '70s--Falcon had something like this--what the Brits called "Flamboyant" aka "orange flam"

I wanted to but this frame! (Sorry guys for being tempted by the dark side...:blush2: )
THe Kirk will be paint not powder, so its probably doable.

b21

1 - 13 of 13 Posts