Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got something really bad.

I'm running SpyWare Doctor and it confirms that I have Malware. It appears unable to do anything about it. Stupid thing is, the hackers tease you by spamming your browser with ads for 'Win Anitvirus Pro' which is in itself Malware hell. Spammers Suck!

Anyways, I'm running XP home, MS Explorer, Norton Antivirus (not the full security suite), Windows Firewall and aforementioned SpyWare doctor. This means that I have lost all internets functionality ;)

Suggestions? Buy a Mac? Firefox?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Dowmload Spybot Search and Destroy. http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html It should get rid of the malware, if not, you'll need something pretty drastic that requires some computer knowledge.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sounds like some of the malware is taking away some of your processor and memory resources.
But, since you don't Internet access at the moment, the first step is to reboot the computer in Safeboot mode then go back rerun Spy Doctor. Spy Doctor probably couldn't remove the malware since some of the malware may be running as a process.
Then, reboot the computer again in normal mode and try to access the Internet. If you can get online, download a copy of Ad-Adware SE from Lavasoft. Make sure to the download site is from Lavasoft because there are fake sites that claim to have Ad-Aware.
Also, if you want more info, go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ and read up on malware since they have tools and tips on how to deal with adware and malware.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Spunout said:
Yes.

My wife's laptop pre-Firefox was a mess. I couldn't keep it clean. Installed FF a year ago and haven't once had to clean it.

Firefox is free. It's extendable for free. It takes about 2 minutes to download and 2 minutes to install. It will import all of your IE favorites. Try it. If you don't like it, you haven't lost anything but a couple minutes of your life.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
1. Use FireFox. Never use IE, except if you have to.
2. Scan with AdAware and SpyBot.
3. Forget Windows firewall. Use ZoneAlarm. It's better (and free).
4. In addition to your current virus protection, it might not be a bad idea to download the free virus scanner AntiVir and scan with that. An easier idea might be to scan with Trendmicro's free online scanner at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ . I think you might have to manually remove the infected files--I don't remember.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
What Senor Scotty said. Go with FireFox...the only time you'll ever use IE again is to update Windows.
And, ironically, to run TrendMicro's virus scanner. :D

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Depending on what he has, you may be right. I had to do that with mine. I had various forms of 180 search assistant on my pc. What a friggin PITA. He may want to try microsoft's anti-spyware remover. I know it isn't great but the newer versions WILL identify 180 search assistant and remove it. I suggest what Scotty said and try the MS remover. To do it manually is a real time-killer. I now use Firefox and I'm a happy camper:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Kram59 said:
Depending on what he has, you may be right. I had to do that with mine. I had various forms of 180 search assistant on my pc. What a friggin PITA. He may want to try microsoft's anti-spyware remover. I know it isn't great but the newer versions WILL identify 180 search assistant and remove it. I suggest what Scotty said and try the MS remover. To do it manually is a real time-killer. I now use Firefox and I'm a happy camper:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
The only thing you'd have to do manually is remove files that TrendMicro's scanner finds. Everything else is automatic. If he runs Norton first, there shouldn't be a whole lot that TrendMicro finds.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
If it's not too late, reset Windows XP to a previous time before you got the disease. It worked for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts