Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
down to Redondo on Sunday?

I'm thinking about going via Venice from south of downtown to Culver to Vista Del Mar/Highland/Manhattan/Hermosa/Harbor.

Is Vista Del Mar open and safe west of LAX?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Vista del Mar is open, the traffic moves at 50mph+ and on the weekends the road is lined with cars from beach goers. (fast traffic to your left, door danger on your right) It's not the worst stretch of road, but I usually take the lower route along there. (see next)

Some options for you, take the Balona Creek Bike Path from National Blvd/Culver City just south of Venice to the beach. Usually is lightly used, you should be able to make good time along there. (no stops/lights or traffic for 8 miles) From the end of the creek path, go left over the bridge, straight onto Pacific, right at the stop sign (or if you really want to take Vista del Mar, left then right to hit it) and immediately left (Trollyway St.). Go to the end and turn right through or around the gate and left onto the asphalt road. This is nice smooth pavement off of the main bike path and only used by service vehicles, smooth, fast, straight for 2-3 miles. Cut through the big public parking lot and onto the bike path, (another option here, stay on the asphalt, up a short hill and go out onto Vista del Mar there, at least you are past most of the parked cars there) take that down to Manhattan Beach and straight onto Hermosa Ave. Stay on that down to Redondo Beach.

See you down there! I'll be the guy with the bike. :p

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Black Bart said:
Vista del Mar is open, the traffic moves at 50mph+ and on the weekends the road is lined with cars from beach goers. (fast traffic to your left, door danger on your right) It's not the worst stretch of road, but I usually take the lower route along there. (see next)

Some options for you, take the Balona Creek Bike Path from National Blvd/Culver City just south of Venice to the beach. Usually is lightly used, you should be able to make good time along there. (no stops/lights or traffic for 8 miles) From the end of the creek path, go left over the bridge, straight onto Pacific, right at the stop sign (or if you really want to take Vista del Mar, left then right to hit it) and immediately left (Trollyway St.). Go to the end and turn right through or around the gate and left onto the asphalt road. This is nice smooth pavement off of the main bike path and only used by service vehicles, smooth, fast, straight for 2-3 miles. Cut through the big public parking lot and onto the bike path, (another option here, stay on the asphalt, up a short hill and go out onto Vista del Mar there, at least you are past most of the parked cars there) take that down to Manhattan Beach and straight onto Hermosa Ave. Stay on that down to Redondo Beach.

See you down there! I'll be the guy with the bike. :p

Thanks for the reconn. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts