Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filtersweep, I'm looking in your direction....

So I had a gigantic keyboard that I bought with the intention of using it as a MIDI controller and teaching myself to play. The playing never really happened (got myself a guitar and am digging that a lot), and the thing was a PITA to use as a controller. So I gave the keyboard to a good home.

Now I've been making an attempt to put a song together and I'm pulling a lot of inspiration from Pressure Chief (album by CAKE, natch') and I'd like to screw around with some MIDI stuff.

Portability is my main concern, as I'll be using it with my lap top and I'd like to be able to take it with me. Price, of course, is my next concern.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at the Oxygen 8, though I've never seen one in person, I don't know how big they are. nd I don't know of anyone who uses one (or any portable controller, for that matter).

joe

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I’ve got an Oxygen 8. It is very compact and should fit the bill for most MIDI tomfoolery. Plenty of knobs to twiddle around with. What software do you plan on using with it? Many of the virtual synths (Arturia Moog Modular, Native Instruments Pro-53, etc.) allow you to assign different functions to the knobs so you can tweak them in real time. As long as you don’t mind having to manually transpose up/down one or more octaves (we’re talking MIDI arrangements here, so I am assuming you are doing one or so tracks at a time) it’s really not a hinderance.

Oh yeah, the size is just a bit wider than a loaf of bread, and it’s somewhere between 2 and 3 inches thick.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it works just super as an input device in Garage Band.

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
I've used the Oxy 8's in the past... no issues. If you can pick one up on fleaBay in good condition then grab it.

At work we've got a Behringer UMX25

Both of them feel of about the same quality (err which is like a cheap casio keyboards- the keys aren't weighted). But it works just fine for triggering etc. and since it's Behringer it's quite cheap ($150 USD). Size is (WxHxD): 21.5 x 9.7 x 49.5 cm and weighs 2.24 kg.

The only thing is that you are pretty much limited to using one hand over 2 octaves at a time. Otherwise they are the most portable whilst retaining plenty of function.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Joe, you looking for software?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Touch0Gray said:
Joe, you looking for software?

Yeah, I should have mentioned that as well in the OP.

joe

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Yeah, I should have mentioned that as well in the OP.

joe
Are you wanting notation, or playback, or both? And--are you attached to an academic institution?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,920 Posts
Joe, incoming PM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts