Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there will probably be as many opinions as riders on this topic, but what are your recommendations for a good lightweight tube for regular use (i.e not racing). I will be running velocity aerohead rims and Conti 4000s rims so I want to stay with something lightweight.

I'm leaning towards the Lunarlight from Performance at the moment....thoughts?

·
Registered
123 Posts
floxy said:
I know there will probably be as many opinions as riders on this topic, but what are your recommendations for a good lightweight tube for regular use (i.e not racing). I will be running velocity aerohead rims and Conti 4000s rims so I want to stay with something lightweight.

Michelin Aircomp Ultra Light - 70 grams. Racing or training, I'm very satisfied with them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Really you won't save much weight with light weight tubes. Get regular tubes and worry less about flats.

That being said, Lunarlites are 50g vs ultralites at 70g vs many other "regular tubes" 80-100g. If you are a weight weanie, the 50g of rotational weight of lunarlites may make a difference. From the reviews on performance.com, it looks like people like the lunarlites, but I personally wouldn't ride them as a daily tire. Actually, I wouldn't ride them as a race tire either, because the cost of flatting during a race is much more.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
floxy said:
I've been using 50g tubes for awhile now without issues... but other people apparently do. Provided that you don't have burrs on the inside of your rim, and know how to properly install a tire, they should work fine. If anything penetrates the tire then it will easily go through the tube... but this is also true of ones that weigh twice as much.

The thin tubes also have less resistance... and this is more important than the weight loss.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
sscooterguy said:
Really you won't save much weight with light weight tubes. Get regular tubes and worry less about flats. .
My personal opinion and experience is that tube weight has little if anything to do with flats. I haven't had more or less flats using light tubes vs. the heavy ones I used to use. All my flats (except for the odd stupid pinch flat) are pieces of glass, etc. that go through the tire, and I don't believe a light tube is any more susceptible to something that is strong enough to pierce the tire. Just my experience though.

Also, it's not a huge weight savings but it can be a couple ounces (60 grams) or more per tube, or 1/4 pound total for very little cost and - again in my experience - no loss in function.

What I like though is that the lightweight tubes are a lot more compact and easier to store in my tiny seat bag, about 1/2 the size.

All that said - I've actually had better experience with the cheap generic 70 gram Forte tubes from Performance bike than similar weight "name brand" tubes (such as mich, hutchinson, etc.). I had a a couple of some name brand tubes (I can't remember which, but they were more expensive) that I believe were defective because I kept having invisible pinholes causing leaks where the tire would actually go flat during a ride - not suddenly, but over an hour or so. I could see the leak in water, but not w/ my eye... and when I'd patch one, another would happen a while later. I think it was a defective batch because I bought the tubes at the same time. Since I switched to the 70 gram Forte tubes from Performance, I never have a problem unless I actually run over something sharp.

I haven't trued the ultra lights though.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
+1 on Michelin

esenkay said:
Michelin Aircomp Ultra Light - 70 grams. Racing or training, I'm very satisfied with them.
I've used these tubes for nearly a decade with essentially zero problems. Plus, they don't have a threaded valve stem so your pump head grommet lasts longer. Win win.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I exclusively ride the Miche Aircomp UL and the Continental Race Lights.

The Miche Aircomp UL are not 70 grams. That may be their advertised weight but the 700 x 18/23 with 52mm stem is 83-85 grams. I ride these as my main tubes on all my bikes except one. I like these due to the smooth valves.

The Conti Race Lights are in the low 70s. I use both the 48 and 60mm stemmed ones in 700 x 18/25 and the 60mm stems are 72-73 grams and interestingly the 48mm stems are 73-74 grams. I use these as saddle bag spares due to the fact that they take up very little room. I use the 48mm stemmed ones on my FG which I run with 25c tires and Mavic box rims.

I have never found an increase in flats due to using lighter tubes. Once you puncture the tire it is only a matter of time before the tube goes too, no matter how heavy or thick.

I have wanted to try latex or some of the super light tubes out of curiosity, but have yet to do so. I just can't seem to bring myself to pay for them.

HTH
zac

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I as well like Michelin AirComp Ultra-Light Tubes.
I have used them for years with no significant problems.
-Smooth Valve Stem
-No separate Valve Core to leak
-Valves work great and do not stick during inflation
-Never had a 'base-of-stem' problem
-Smooth Valve Stem shines up nicely! LOL!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I've used these tubes for nearly a decade with essentially zero problems. Plus, they don't have a threaded valve stem so your pump head grommet lasts longer. Win win.
I was about to start using those... but then I got a Soma Atom pump that *only* works with threaded stems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.