Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. Since this IS the weight weenie forum, I'm going to ask....

My current bike is at 15.30 lbs with the following main components:

1. 2010 Sworks Tarmac 52 cm frame set (with s works seat stem and fork)
2. Roval Rapide SL 45 wheel set with specialized Mondo Pro II tires and "superlight" turbo tubes
3. Specialized toupe saddle with ti rails
4. Red shifters, RD, and compact crank
5. Force brakes and FD
6. Specialized S-works carbon bars
7. Ritchey carbon stem
8. LOOK Keo 2 Max pedals
9. 6700 Ultegra cassette (11-28)
10. 2 S-works carbon cages
11. Sram PC 1070 chain

BESIDES getting a new set of wheels, what is the best way for me to get below 15lbs? Suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hmm...your parts are all relatively lightweight so it would take replacing a bunch of items to bring it under. For starters, the post, bar, stem and lighter cassette would do it. You'll be dropping some good cash however...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tinman143 said:
Hmm...your parts are all relatively lightweight so it would take replacing a bunch of items to bring it under. For starters, the post, bar, stem and lighter cassette would do it. You'll be dropping some good cash however...
Thanks. Yeah, I figured that at this point, it wouldn't be cheap to get that .5lb off. I was considering going to a DA cassette and maybe Keo Blade carbon pedals. I realize there's really nothing "special" about going below 15lbs (in terms of performance gain), but this is strictly a goal that I'm trying to reach, that's all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
From one ww to another, I GET IT. ;)

The biggest weight loss I got are from the wheels sad to say. Try starting with the bars, stem and seatpost. My Scott CR1 had gone from 17 to 15 lbs. Consequently, my wallet lost weight also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Titanium skewers? About 45 grams (or less) for $60 to $70 on Ebay.

Thomson Masterpiece seatpost? Light and strong, but not terribly cheap.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the good tips! I would consider the red cassette but heard that it is too "loud". WhT about the dura ace cassette? Would that get me below 15? I like the Thompson seat post idea too. Are the titanium skewers easy to install?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cni2i said:
Thanks for the good tips! I would consider the red cassette but heard that it is too "loud". WhT about the dura ace cassette? Would that get me below 15? I like the Thompson seat post idea too. Are the titanium skewers easy to install?
Well, mine were as easy as another other skewer, which means, yes, incredibly easy.

I got the KCNC ones; been working great for over a year and several thousand miles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Could drop 200g on a full carbon clincher wheel set. Sram red cassette ($180 ebay)and a kmc x10sl chain ($50 ebay). Could save close to 80g with some planet x road calipers calipers ($150). My calipers came in at 195g. KCNC skewers come in at 42g ($50 ebay)

·
Registered
447 Posts
.3 lbs is 136 grams ...

Switching from Ultegra to DA 11-28 will provide 42 grams.

Have you trimed your seat post down, I cut 50 grams from mine with plenty of insertion length.

Your going to always struggle between bling and ww when it comes to wheels, 1600 gram wheels are not light. You could pick-up some cheap 1400 gram wheels for under $400.

You could shave 50-80 grams on just replacing your skewers.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
medimond said:
.3 lbs is 136 grams ...

Switching from Ultegra to DA 11-28 will provide 42 grams.

Have you trimed your seat post down, I cut 50 grams from mine with plenty of insertion length.

Your going to always struggle between bling and ww when it comes to wheels, 1600 gram wheels are not light. You could pick-up some cheap 1400 gram wheels for under $400.

You could shave 50-80 grams on just replacing your skewers.
I hear ya. I love the way the Roval Rapide SL45 looks with my bike. But besides the looks, they also perform great on long flats....better than my EA90 SLX IMO. But I agree, they are definitely not the lightest wheels. I am probably in the minority here, but I just don't like the really deep dish tubular wheels out there.

At this point, I am leaning towards getting Ti skewers and a lighter cassette. Should get me close 15lbs even.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Bacana said:
Titanium skewers? About 45 grams (or less) for $60 to $70 on Ebay.

Thomson Masterpiece seatpost? Light and strong, but not terribly cheap.
I've looked at titanium skewers recently and haven't found anything close to 45grams.

If you want a cheaper option you can get no-name Chinese titanium skewers for $20 shipped on eBay. The claimed weight I think was 70g on them.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts