Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. Since this IS the weight weenie forum, I'm going to ask....

My current bike is at 15.30 lbs with the following main components:

1. 2010 Sworks Tarmac 52 cm frame set (with s works seat stem and fork)
2. Roval Rapide SL 45 wheel set with specialized Mondo Pro II tires and "superlight" turbo tubes
3. Specialized toupe saddle with ti rails
4. Red shifters, RD, and compact crank
5. Force brakes and FD
6. Specialized S-works carbon bars
7. Ritchey carbon stem
8. LOOK Keo 2 Max pedals
9. 6700 Ultegra cassette (11-28)
10. 2 S-works carbon cages
11. Sram PC 1070 chain

BESIDES getting a new set of wheels, what is the best way for me to get below 15lbs? Suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tinman143 said:
Hmm...your parts are all relatively lightweight so it would take replacing a bunch of items to bring it under. For starters, the post, bar, stem and lighter cassette would do it. You'll be dropping some good cash however...
Thanks. Yeah, I figured that at this point, it wouldn't be cheap to get that .5lb off. I was considering going to a DA cassette and maybe Keo Blade carbon pedals. I realize there's really nothing "special" about going below 15lbs (in terms of performance gain), but this is strictly a goal that I'm trying to reach, that's all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the good tips! I would consider the red cassette but heard that it is too "loud". WhT about the dura ace cassette? Would that get me below 15? I like the Thompson seat post idea too. Are the titanium skewers easy to install?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
medimond said:
.3 lbs is 136 grams ...

Switching from Ultegra to DA 11-28 will provide 42 grams.

Have you trimed your seat post down, I cut 50 grams from mine with plenty of insertion length.

Your going to always struggle between bling and ww when it comes to wheels, 1600 gram wheels are not light. You could pick-up some cheap 1400 gram wheels for under $400.

You could shave 50-80 grams on just replacing your skewers.
I hear ya. I love the way the Roval Rapide SL45 looks with my bike. But besides the looks, they also perform great on long flats....better than my EA90 SLX IMO. But I agree, they are definitely not the lightest wheels. I am probably in the minority here, but I just don't like the really deep dish tubular wheels out there.

At this point, I am leaning towards getting Ti skewers and a lighter cassette. Should get me close 15lbs even.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
parity said:
Remove your rim tape and replace them with veloplugs if they fit. You can save 10 to 15 grams per wheel. Switch to a lighter tire. According to the specialized web site your tires are 220 grams. Michelin pro race 3 come in at 205 grams (on my scale). So that's 15 grams per wheel. So combine this with the other weight savings suggested by everyone else and you should be close to your target weight.
Nice tip. Not sure why that didn't come to mind :rolleyes: I was planning to upgrade my wheels anyways, so that would be where I'll start.

I really appreciate ALL the good weight-shaving tips thus far. Some of them I've already considered, but definitely others that didn't cross my mind. So, thanks to all that have already contributed. I am sure other weight weenies out there can appreciate this thread as well.

On a side note: Did an early Thanksgiving ride with my club this morning. It was got pretty windy at certain points during the ride....a couple of the guys teased that my bike and I would soon just blow over if we got any lighter :D

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Cado said:
Here's a few idea based on my build:

The items in bold would be significantly lighter than your existing components (you can look up the differences on the web):

Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL3 Cancellara Frameset
SRAM Red
SRAM Force (callipers and front derailleur),
Zipp 303 Wheels,
S-Works crankset (BB30 only),
Stronglight CT2 53/39 chainrings,
Toupé Ti seat,
USE Carbon Alien seatpost,
FSA OS-99 stem,

3T Ergonova Team handlebar,
Dura Ace chain,
Dura Ace cassette
Speedplay Ti pedals

S-Works bottle cages

13.9 pds ready to roll now with speed/cadence sensors and magnets.

The best place to start is the wheels and tires by going tubular, but that gets expensive really quickly.

If you stick to clinchers, you can try Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 tires at 180gr each with Maxxis Ultra Light tubes at 60gr each. I use that combo on my training wheels (Easton EA 90 SLX). That would get you some good weight reductions.

View attachment 217944

View attachment 217945
Sweet bike! But as I stated in the orginal post, I wanted to drop weight without having to change out the wheelset at this point in time. I realize that that is probably the fastest way to drop some noticeable weight....but I actually really like my Roval Rapide SL45 at the moment, and not looking to drop that much $ on the 303s or any other carbon/tubular wheelset.

As for the stem and dropbars, I already have the Ritchey WCS Carbon Stem and the Specialized Sworks Carbon bars. Not sure if the Ergonova bars and FSA stem are that much lighter.

I am planning on getting the KeoBlade carbon Ti pedals and the DA cassette. I will also get lighter tires. Already have the superlight redbox specialized tubes. I won't get to 13lbs, but just want to get below 15 :D Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
spastook said:
When I worked in a high end shop back in the mid 90's I bought a gram scale and a commercial grade scale so customers could check out the weight of their bikes. We never heard the cash register ring more. Get over it. I have 3 road bikes. My S.S. weighs 14.75 my carbon about 16.5 and my IF steel is around 18 plus. Who fricking cares. All 3 of them require me to pedal them. Yes make your bike reasonably light, but don't agonize over 100 grams.
Well, a lot of cyclists here DO CARE...especially those who frequently visit this thread. Now, most cyclists (myself included), would agree with you that 100 gram saving here and there is not going to make a really noticeable difference in overall performance at all. But, as with any other hobby out there, it's fun to tinker with our bikes...whether it be to change the looks of the bike, change the performance, or simply trying to shed some weight. It's just a GOAL that some of us have. Some may even call it an obsession. As long as you are financially responsible, I don't see anything wrong with this "obsession". :D

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
spastook said:
Didn't mean to insult anyone. I'm a former weight weenie myself but have been thru the 12 step program. The addiction is a tough one to beat but it CAN be done.
Spastook: No offense taken. I personally didn't feel offended either. Just wanted to point out that this is a Weight Weenie thread and so we discuss topics about dropping weight. Glad to see you beat the addiction. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
turbogrover said:
I'm curious why you need that mountain bike gearing on a lightweight road bike. A closer ratio cassette would save a lot of weight.
What's the weight saving going from 11-28 to say 12-25 cassette?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.