Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Remove your rim tape and replace them with veloplugs if they fit. You can save 10 to 15 grams per wheel. Switch to a lighter tire. According to the specialized web site your tires are 220 grams. Michelin pro race 3 come in at 205 grams (on my scale). So that's 15 grams per wheel. So combine this with the other weight savings suggested by everyone else and you should be close to your target weight.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
parity said:
Remove your rim tape and replace them with veloplugs if they fit. You can save 10 to 15 grams per wheel. Switch to a lighter tire. According to the specialized web site your tires are 220 grams. Michelin pro race 3 come in at 205 grams (on my scale). So that's 15 grams per wheel. So combine this with the other weight savings suggested by everyone else and you should be close to your target weight.
Nice tip. Not sure why that didn't come to mind :rolleyes: I was planning to upgrade my wheels anyways, so that would be where I'll start.

I really appreciate ALL the good weight-shaving tips thus far. Some of them I've already considered, but definitely others that didn't cross my mind. So, thanks to all that have already contributed. I am sure other weight weenies out there can appreciate this thread as well.

On a side note: Did an early Thanksgiving ride with my club this morning. It was got pretty windy at certain points during the ride....a couple of the guys teased that my bike and I would soon just blow over if we got any lighter :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's a few idea based on my build:

The items in bold would be significantly lighter than your existing components (you can look up the differences on the web):

Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL3 Cancellara Frameset
SRAM Red
SRAM Force (callipers and front derailleur),
Zipp 303 Wheels,
S-Works crankset (BB30 only),
Stronglight CT2 53/39 chainrings,
Toupé Ti seat,
USE Carbon Alien seatpost,
FSA OS-99 stem,

3T Ergonova Team handlebar,
Dura Ace chain,
Dura Ace cassette
Speedplay Ti pedals

S-Works bottle cages

13.9 pds ready to roll now with speed/cadence sensors and magnets.

The best place to start is the wheels and tires by going tubular, but that gets expensive really quickly.

If you stick to clinchers, you can try Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 tires at 180gr each with Maxxis Ultra Light tubes at 60gr each. I use that combo on my training wheels (Easton EA 90 SLX). That would get you some good weight reductions.

View attachment 217944

View attachment 217945

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Cado said:
Here's a few idea based on my build:

The items in bold would be significantly lighter than your existing components (you can look up the differences on the web):

Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL3 Cancellara Frameset
SRAM Red
SRAM Force (callipers and front derailleur),
Zipp 303 Wheels,
S-Works crankset (BB30 only),
Stronglight CT2 53/39 chainrings,
Toupé Ti seat,
USE Carbon Alien seatpost,
FSA OS-99 stem,

3T Ergonova Team handlebar,
Dura Ace chain,
Dura Ace cassette
Speedplay Ti pedals

S-Works bottle cages

13.9 pds ready to roll now with speed/cadence sensors and magnets.

The best place to start is the wheels and tires by going tubular, but that gets expensive really quickly.

If you stick to clinchers, you can try Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 tires at 180gr each with Maxxis Ultra Light tubes at 60gr each. I use that combo on my training wheels (Easton EA 90 SLX). That would get you some good weight reductions.

View attachment 217944

View attachment 217945
Sweet bike! But as I stated in the orginal post, I wanted to drop weight without having to change out the wheelset at this point in time. I realize that that is probably the fastest way to drop some noticeable weight....but I actually really like my Roval Rapide SL45 at the moment, and not looking to drop that much $ on the 303s or any other carbon/tubular wheelset.

As for the stem and dropbars, I already have the Ritchey WCS Carbon Stem and the Specialized Sworks Carbon bars. Not sure if the Ergonova bars and FSA stem are that much lighter.

I am planning on getting the KeoBlade carbon Ti pedals and the DA cassette. I will also get lighter tires. Already have the superlight redbox specialized tubes. I won't get to 13lbs, but just want to get below 15 :D Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Don't forget it's not the cassette that is loud, it's the cassette body in the hub. Also check the weight on your carbon stem, I think the alu WCS stem is lighter.

cheers

Ralph

·
Banned
726 Posts
Cni2i said:
Hi everyone. Since this IS the weight weenie forum, I'm going to ask....

My current bike is at 15.30 lbs with the following main components:

1. 2010 Sworks Tarmac 52 cm frame set (with s works seat stem and fork)
2. Roval Rapide SL 45 wheel set with specialized Mondo Pro II tires and "superlight" turbo tubes
3. Specialized toupe saddle with ti rails
4. Red shifters, RD, and compact crank
5. Force brakes and FD
6. Specialized Sworks carbon bars
7. Ritchey carbon stem
8. LOOK Keo 2 Max pedals
9. 6700 Ultegra cassette (11-28)
10. 2 Forte carbon cages
11. Sram PC 1070 chain

BESIDES getting a new set of wheels, what is the best way for me to get below 15lbs? Suggestions? Thanks.
for now change to the sram red (1091R) chain + red/force cassette, then i'd go with Red brakes or some other ultralight brakeset.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you care.....this is my sub 15lb Tarmac build....

09 S-Works Tarmac SL2 frame/fork (56cm)
Dura Ace 7900 fr+rr derailluers, shifter/brake levers, 11/25 cassette, pedals
Zero Gravity GSL Brakes
S-Works BB30 Carbon Cranks (aluminum spider and rings with non ceramic bearings)
S-Works stem (100mm)
S-Works Carbon seatpost (27.2x350mm)
Fizik Aliante Saddle with Kium Rails
Pro Vibe Bar (42cm) with S Wrap cork
Dura Ace cables and housing
King Ti Bottle Cages (aluminum bolts)
KMC X10sl chain
Wheelset is Alchemy ELF/ORC, Stans Alpha 340s, Sapim CX rays, Salsa Ti Skewers
Continental Gatorskins (700x23) with cheapo tubes

Bike with all parts listed above weighs in at 14lbs 13oz with my Garmin 305 and cadence sensor mounted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cni2i said:
Thanks for the good tips! I would consider the red cassette but heard that it is too "loud". WhT about the dura ace cassette? Would that get me below 15? I like the Thompson seat post idea too. Are the titanium skewers easy to install?
The SL 45's come with titanium skewers. (at least mine did)

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Wow, that is a nice site!

Cado- beautiful bike!
I'm sad that Spartacus won't be on a Spesh this year.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The cheapest option is to get under 200 gram tires, Velofex Pave (700X22) - 180g, Corsa - 170g, and Record - 130g, Vittoria Diamante Pro (700X23) - 195g, etc. - get your tubes under 80 grams, possibly latex (magical ride). Next, get a saddle you can live with (under 200 grams, some are under 150 grams) - not with carbon rails - although you could get a bare magnesium saddle (San Marco) or a bare carbon fiber saddle. FSA makes some very light saddles. Trust me, a saddle with any kind of cutout weighs a lot more than one without a cutout - plus, on damp and wet roads, cutouts (the kind with an open space near your crotch) soak your nether regions.

Any saddle that I've seen from Specialized has a cutout.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quick update

azbiker said:
If you care.....this is my sub 15lb Tarmac build....

09 S-Works Tarmac SL2 frame/fork (56cm)
Dura Ace 7900 fr+rr derailluers, shifter/brake levers, 11/25 cassette, pedals
Zero Gravity GSL Brakes
S-Works BB30 Carbon Cranks (aluminum spider and rings with non ceramic bearings)
S-Works stem (100mm)
S-Works Carbon seatpost (27.2x350mm)
Fizik Aliante Saddle with Kium Rails
Pro Vibe Bar (42cm) with S Wrap cork
Dura Ace cables and housing
King Ti Bottle Cages (aluminum bolts)
KMC X10sl chain
Wheelset is Alchemy ELF/ORC, Stans Alpha 340s, Sapim CX rays, Salsa Ti Skewers
Continental Gatorskins (700x23) with cheapo tubes

Bike with all parts listed above weighs in at 14lbs 13oz with my Garmin 305 and cadence sensor mounted.

Quick update:

I just switched out my saddle and seatpost....went to a Selle Italia SLR Carbon railed saddle and an Edge (now Enve) Composites seatpost. Took a hair over three ounces off the bike.....
It was time to try a new saddle since my Fizik has been causing soreness lately and the Specialized post does not work with oval carbon rails....

So just over 14.5lbs:thumbsup:

·
your god hates me
1,570 Posts
Cni2i said:
I hear ya. I love the way the Roval Rapide SL45 looks with my bike. But besides the looks, they also perform great on long flats....better than my EA90 SLX IMO. But I agree, they are definitely not the lightest wheels. I am probably in the minority here, but I just don't like the really deep dish tubular wheels out there.
If those Rovals are really 1600g and you want a more or less "normal" looking wheelset, consider DT Swiss Mon Chasseral, @ 1450g.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.