Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new Sugino RD4 crankset with a 48T x 3/32 chainring on my single speed bike, and in the process of installing a new KMC X8 EPT chain, but noticed that the links did not fit onto the teeth on the chain ring. Both parts were marked as being 3/32 on the packaging.

Can anyone shed some light on what the issue is here?

I figure the easiest solve would be to go with an 1/8 in chain, but thought I'd check here first since I thought I did all the homework to make sure the components I purchased were compatible.

Thanks much!

Bicycle Crankset Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After checking the specs at the Sugino website, it looks like the bike shop sold me a 130J 1/8" chainring. They marked it as a 3/32" chainring per the price tag, so it looks like the shop made the error.

I was planning on sticking with a 3/32" inch chain because I use Shimano DX freeweheels and the KMC chain I spec'd has a reusable quick link. Not sure if KMC makes 1/8" chains with a quick link – I can't seem to find one on their site.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Contact the shop, they should make it right.
Yes, I sent the shop an email and waiting for a reply. To be fair, Sugino's product naming isn't very intuitive and I can see how they got confused.

The bike is basically set up as a single speed road bike – a beefy 1/8" track chain is not needed, but I don't think it presents any problems. Sourcing another chain ring would cost more and be a bit of a runaround, so I may just try to pick up a 1/8" chain from a local bike shop.

I believe the 1/8" KMCs ship with non-reusable masterlinks, but people seem to reuse them without a problem. The RD4 cranks have a 45mm chain line. If I can get a quiet, smooth drive train, I suppose it won't matter which standard I use.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts