Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried these? And do you recomend them? I was thinking about picking up a pair for the cold weather. Thanks............Justin :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
mtnbikenc1979 said:
Anyone ever tried these? And do you recomend them? I was thinking about picking up a pair for the cold weather. Thanks............Justin :D
I have a set of the sugoi midzero tights, and those are very nicely warm. Used them some for biking, but more for skiing. As long as it's 25 or warmer, those tights and a shell are enough for skiing. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mtnbikenc1979 said:

I have a pair of these tights and have worn them in temps as low as 38-40 degrees for an hours ride. They are fine for these temps, but I would not recommend them for too much colder than that.

·
Miggity Mac Daddy
51 Posts
Sugoi Tights

I have a pair that I rode around 25f with just shorts on underneath. Not a problem. Anything colder I usually ride with another pair of thinner tights on underneath (and my shorts). I find them very comfortable. I bought mine a size up so that I could fit another layer underneath. I've only had them a month or so so I can't really speak to their durability but so far there have been no problems.

·
Registered
133 Posts
mtnbikenc1979 said:
Very good for XC skiing, which is what I bought them for. Works for cycling down to 25 deg. with just shorts underneath.

Problem is that they're not ergonomically designed for the cycling position so the back is not quite as high as I would like, nor are the seams aligned like cycling tights. I don't ride much when it's below 35, so I'm not going to invest in a pair of Assos or something like that.

I would recommend them for occaisional use when cycling.

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
They're my Favorite Tight

I have two pair - large and extra large. I ride the large alone down to 45 and the large with the extra large over them down to 20. In my opinion the cut is perfect for cycling, however I'm refering to the subzero only. I don't like the midzero's fit. I also wear suspenders with the extra large as they can sag (because they're larger that I need).

Howard

·
497 Posts
I have a pair that is over 4 years old...

They are well-made and strong as hell, probably best bang for the buck I've ever gotten out of a piece of clothing. They've slowly become thinner (kind of suprised me how cold they were when winter hit this year) - but never ripped despite a couple good wrecks in early season races. I still use them in spring and fall or as an extra tight if it is super cold out. They have a very wide useful temperature range and withstand colder temperatures better than you might think, but don't expect them to perform like the waterproof Sugoi version or Pearl Izumi amphibs when it is 34 degrees and raining. And they are still comfortable to wear up to 55-60 degrees or so. I've raced with them several times before I could afford leg warmers and they worked okay.

They aren't a flashy tight and don't make claims with fancy cutting, but I never had any problems. I will take good quality fabric and stitching any day. The ankle zippers are good quality and still work better than my Pearl Izumi zippers did when new. I also use them for skiing or even running if it is very cold out, but they seemed cut for cycling to me. Perhaps this was because I mainly cycle in them and they have molded to that position, I don't know. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi amphibs that I'm lukewarm about, especially given their cost. I also tried the waterproof Sugois and thought they felt strange. Have also used other brands like Bellwether, Hind, Performance, and old Cannondale, but nothing expensive like Castelli or Assos.

Bottom line is that these are probably the best-made and most versatile tight you can buy, especially in this price range. Their sizing is accurate, slightly small if anything so I'd get the next larger size if you have stocky legs or on a size borderline.

·
Registered
156 Posts
MidZero Loose Tights

I have the MidZero loose tights, they are a different fit to that of the SubZero tights. I have never tried the SubZero, but the ones I have are great. I use them primarily for mountain biking and they work perfectly down to about -5C (about -25F I think) with shorts underneath. I don't know how they would work on a road bike, I might not like them for that, but on my mountain bike they are great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts