Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home from my brother in laws home. His daughter, our niece was found dead this morning in her room of an apparent suicide. She was only 18 years old. She was a brilliant and beautiful girl with an amazing talent for both music and math. She played 5 - 6different instruments and was in all AP placement classes for college. She had her pick of schools in the fall. Unfortunately, the pressures in high school was apparently too much and she didn't feel like she was normal because she thought or knew she was ghey. My brother and sister in law tried counciling and getting her help to make sure she knew she was "normal" and it was OK if she was ghey, but kids especially teenagers are fricking cruel. Last week there was an "incident" and despite her parents best she thought her only answer was suicide. At some point last night she took and overdose on a medication she had to help regulate her heart rate from a congenital heart problem and went to sleep. Her mother found her this morning and despite fire/rescue's and the ER's best attempts she was already gone. I guess the best emotion I can describe right now is anger. She wrote a note that said she thought she was a burden. How can someone so gifted be a burden. WTF? Give your kids an extra hug tonight and please let them know they can and talk to you about anything and the are NEVER a burden.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Extremely tragic. Its terrible that people are made to feel so bad about wanting to be themselves. Sorry to hear, Jup.

joe

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that Jup.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
That is horrible.

I've been in that hopeless place where it feels like it would be better to have it all end than continue in pain................I was lucky.

Let those you love know that you love them without limit.

Be there for your family.

Len

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Words are little solace sometimes but they are all we can give over the internet, So sorry to read of the sad passing of your niece. Anger is perfectly fine at times like this. Part of the grieving process so they say,nonetheless grieving still sucks.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
So sorry for you and your brother's family's loss

I can't imagine dealing with such a tragedy.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
That's horrible. I am so sorry for you and your in-laws. Of course you feel angry and all sorts of other things too.

Whether it's from suicide, disease, or accident there's nothing so terrible as losing a young one. A child, a nephew or niece, a friend. And suicide makes it all the more painful.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss

it is not easy being a young person anymore

·
Sharp
1,695 Posts
Oh my lawd, I'm so, so sorry. My heart goes out to you, your family and particularly your brother and his family. So very, very sad.

I watched a documentary not long ago on a situation so very similar where a brilliant young girl also took her life, and again, the parents had done all they could in getting her counselling and help. The mother felt driven to make something good out of the tragedy and initiated an in-school program for kids to make them aware of depression and to accept others who suffered from it. Was a heart-wrenching tale no matter.

Again, I'm so sorry Jupitern.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
our thoughts are with you and your family....

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Sorry, Jup. I wish I could say something more to make sense of this. My brother in law was lucky that his wife came home early last year and found him before the pills worked. They still almost did. More than anyone shower the young members of the family with your presence and love. My daughter had a terrible time thinking the uncle she grew up with nearly took his own life.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. Words can not express this. I will make sure I hug my teens tonight and tell them I love them.

Please accept my condolence.

jps

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Our thoughts will be with you and your family.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Jup................I'm so sorry.........what a waste........

My baby girl celebrated her 19th today....I love my kids with all my heart and soul..

As for it being harder for kids today................nope......same as it always was...it is just a world dedicated to instant gratification...I want this I want it now....

Kids..........no....a bad day is a bad day....not a bad life. PLEASE.....talk to your parents or friends if you think life is not worth living....PLEASE...!!!!

:cryin:

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
I'm so sorry jupiter, my nephew attempted suicide. It's a helpless feeling wanting to help someone you love, and not knowing how to do it. Blessings to you and your family.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts