Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple statements from a local news site today:

Portland finished the "meteorological" summer of June, July and August as the coldest in 17 years ... For the first time in 35 years, Portland recorded three consecutive summer months of below-average temperatures... The 'non-summer' of 2010 was almost an exact opposite to the summer of 2009.

So despite this, the vegetable garden has done OK, after having to be replanted once or twice... Cherry tomatoes are cranking out. Non-cherry tomatoes are starting to turn red. Greens have done well, as have beans, summer squash, cukes. Peppers and eggplant are the suxxor. Winter squash might come through if we get a warm month.. though the trend lines aren't looking good...

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Mine got covered with a playhouse for my daughter.

Nothing ever grew anyways.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Boulder had a cool spring and a cool early summer. Things were definitely slow to fruit. We lost our corn plants to a bear (completely ripped them out of the ground - found the stalks in the back yard) . The tomatoes have come on strong. This is the second year my wife and I planted beets. We love beets.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
just put in a fall/winter crop of chard, kale, beets, onions, radishes, and lettuce...
the raised beds went in late with the new house so our options were limited.
should be good in about 2 months...plants are already 3-5".

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Ours sucked. Hot, wet, humid weather all summer nothing really did well. Onions are rotting from the inside out, wimpy potatoes, tomatoes did okay but we haven't had the time to tend to them. Didn't get a single bell pepper. I'm ready for next spring.

·
Registered
385 Posts
More tomatoes than we know what to do with. BLT season was very good this year! June and July in SoCal were cool and cloudy. The tomatoes ripened later than usual, but the up side is that we had fewer insects than previous years. Plant varieties were 'Ace'. 'Better Boy' and cherry 'Sweet 100'. Ace was okay, Better Boy was awesome and the cherry is still cranking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts