Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride lots late in the day, and therefore the sun is at low incidence. I ride with sun glasses, but that doesn't help enough when the sun is lower and in your eyes.

If the visor on my helmet was a bit longer this would really help out. I am assuming there is no standard on visors, that you just can't get a longer one, that you have to find a helmet that has these options. Or maybe there are no options? Need a bit of help here. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Cycling cap. I've never used one but have seen plenty with visors bigger than I've seen on any helmet. And you can flip/bend them up or down and not screw up the helmet fit like you would moving an attached visor up or down.

edit. Just incase you didn't know exactly what I mean here is a link to a random example, the go under your helmet: Louis Garneau Course Vent Cap | Backcountry.com

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
As a tangent, you may want to see if you can change your schedule to ride at a different time. It's not only the time you can't see, it's the time cars can't see. Highest chance of getting run down from behind...

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
or change the direction/route to reduce that risk, if possible. though it is way worse in the rain/winter than in the dry summer here

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Oops, I can't read, already posted above, but whatever, I agree:

Riding towards the sun when it is low is one of the most dangerous things you can do. It's more dangerous than riding in thick traffic in the middle of the day.

When I'm driving and the sun is low and I'm driving into it, I can't see a damn thing. The visor doesn't come low enough and sun glasses barely help. Sound familiar? I can barely make out the lines on the road, I sure as hell can't see anything in front of me.

Your chances of getting hit from behind at speed probably go up by 100x when riding towards a low sun. It's one of those things I try to avoid like the plague.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts