Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I like the Coppertone spf 45. I also have some spf 60, but I forget what brand it is. I never go out unprotected anymore. I'm the kind of guy that can get a sunburn walking 2 blocks on a clear day. I've had a few pre-cancerous spots removed, & I don't want any more.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
There are UVA and UVB rays. Both cause skin damage and are associated with skin cancer. SPF is a multiplier that relates to protection against UVB rays.

Broad spectrum sunscreens also block UVA. Two ingredients used in these sunscreens are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. About half of sunscreens claiming to protect against UVA actually do. Two other agents that provide broad spectrum protection and have done well in research tests include Mexoryl and Tinosorb, not available in the US, but are available in Canada and Europe.

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer has an SPF of 55. This sunscreen uses two UV blockers, avobenzone and oxybenzone and is meant to be similar to Mexoryl.

There is also UV protective clothing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Bullfrog....

Bullfrog is the way to go. It is not greasy and you will never sweat it off. You could go swimming with the stuff on and not wash it off. It goes on as a gel or spray and dries immediately. No greasy mess. It is a bit more expensive but well worth it. It is the only thing I use now and I have tried everything.

Mike

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Bullfrog!

Totally awesome, comes in a spray on pump, very dry immediately, nothing sticks to it, doesn't sweat off easily, lasts about 4 hours, and nothing sticks to it (oh yeah, just said that). I love the stuff. Also the best on the Hawaiian beaches when you don't want sand all stuck to your body.

·
Registered
656 Posts
you all missed it!!!

Blue Lizard Suncream is the best stuff out there. it's australian, so you won't find it at your local drugstore (or your local any store), but they've got it at Drugstore.com. you just plain will not get burnt while wearing it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
+ 1 for bullfrog......it comes in spf 90 (found in Australia), that stuff lightens your skin tone by 1 shade every time you apply it.

no-ad works well also

any time of watersports/surf sunscreen i find does the job decently, actually

·
Ti me up
1,243 Posts
rv5869 said:
What sun screen would you recommend?
If you shave your legs/arms/whatever, it's probably pretty easy to spread on creams, but hair absorbs a lot of that and makes it laborious. For the hairy-legged among us, I recommend the Coppertone Sport in the continuous spray bottle. Works well, and is easier to apply than a cream or a pump spray.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,170 Posts
ProSport

I've used ProSport 44 for about 10 years now and order a new tube every year. I've put it on at 4am before a double and finished with little more than a slight tan line. The Block & Tackle, Golf and ProSport screens are all the same product, just branded/marketed to different folks. It's great stuff.

http://www.sunblocks.com/

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use Bullfrog as well. The stuff is great.

The only thing you need to worry about is taking a deep breathe while you put the stuff on your face because of the super strong alcohol smell that last for a couple of seconds.

Sometimes I wish it didn't dry as fast because it will completely dry by the time you get more in your hand. Be mindful of where you left off so you don't miss a spot.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The problem I see with Bullfrog is that is doesn't seem to have any UVA blockers. I used the hawaiiantropic sport 60+spf sport product (http://www.hawaiiantropic.com/products/sport_10.html) which works great but is a pain to apply as its very thick. Spent awhile at the store yesterday looking for a good product but all the continuous spray products I saw don't contain the UVA specific active ingredients. Got some Coppertone Sport Gel which feels very easy to apply and has a photostable avobenzone in it plus said it was good for 80 mins in the water (the highest FDA approved measurement) so should work great but havn't tested in the real world yet.

BTW just having avobenzone in the ingredient list as the UVA protector is the chemical is not phostable and needs to be stabalized. see:
http://makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreenFAQ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.