Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began my ride last weekend early in the morning; the sun was covered and we wondered if it would come out at all. Well, it did; and like a fool, I got caught out without having put on sunscreen.

I'm by no means melanin-challenged but I still ended up with a severe burn on the tops of my arms and thighs. I even think that the burn contributed to me coming down with a pretty bad cold by monday morning.

Now I've sworn to never fail to apply the SPF before each ride here on in.

I know that I'm pretty safe out in the sun as long as I'm wearing the sunscreen; but I was wondering if there are special garments or fabrics that could function as sun protectants without sacrificing breathability and cooling. Has anyone heard of or have experience using such a item? Or are cremes and gels still the best bet?:cool:

· Registered
310 Posts
I always put sunscreen on every inch of exposed skin on my body. If I'm out on extra long rides out here in the blazing Texas sun, I take a hotel shampoo bottle filled w/ extra SPF 15 and reapply half way through the ride. You just can't be too careful when dealing with the Big C.

Halfway through the season I still end up with a decent suntan anyway.

Be careful, have fun, and drink plenty of water.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Ohm_S.Ohm said:
I began my ride last weekend early in the morning; the sun was covered and we wondered if it would come out at all. Well, it did; and like a fool, I got caught out without having put on sunscreen.

I'm by no means melanin-challenged but I still ended up with a severe burn on the tops of my arms and thighs. I even think that the burn contributed to me coming down with a pretty bad cold by monday morning.

Now I've sworn to never fail to apply the SPF before each ride here on in.

I know that I'm pretty safe out in the sun as long as I'm wearing the sunscreen; but I was wondering if there are special garments or fabrics that could function as sun protectants without sacrificing breathability and cooling. Has anyone heard of or have experience using such a item? Or are cremes and gels still the best bet?:cool:
Be careful even on cloudy days you can get burned. As for clothing check some Under Armor stuff out. My best guess.

· Registered
203 Posts
Also make sure it has real UVA protection (it should contain something like titanium dioxide, avobenzone/Parsol 1789(tm), or, I think, zinc oxide IIRC). A lot of brands advertise "full spectrum" protection but don't block much UVA because in the U.S. apparently there are no standards for UVA ratings (the SPF only applies to UVB). I've noticed this year that a lot of the brands are starting to use avobenzone whereas last year real UVA additives were much harder to find (and nonexistant in the spray-on varieties), so this is a good thing.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
As a Connecticut boy who lives in Florida of Irish descent, I highly recommend BullFrog Surfer Gel. It is the only thing that I've used that does not come off while cycling. Takes soap and water to get it off. I work for a cancer research center and see the effects of melanoma every day, so I won't ride without it....

Flash

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Easy to put on...kind of a light gel and when it's warm, like in your car, it's like baby oil....be careful on those SPF's....I have seen 70SPF and still got burned....it wore off with sweat! That's why I stick to BullFrog.....no soap and it won't come off....

Flash

· Registered
3,270 Posts
As another FL rider, second the Bullfrog

I call it "Blanket in a Bottle". Flash is right, you won't sweat it off. I wear it when going fishing too and never have problems afterwards with sunburn, even when out all day.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
I always use the Coppertone Sport -- it comes in spray form, as well as lotion. The Sport stuff is pretty sweatproof, but I usually reapply on my face over the course of the ride because I tend to wipe my brow, cheeks, etc. when I get sweaty.

Frankly, it doesn't take much longer to apply the lotion, so that's what I go with because it's easier to ensure I don't miss any spots. To re-apply during the ride, I use a sport stick that's easy to carry along (kind of a big tube of Chapstick).

I typically use 30 SPF on my face (I AM melanin challenged in certain areas) and 15 on the rest of me. Lets my arms and legs tan a bit during the ride.

If you really want to be safe and don't care about the vanity of the tan, you should be using 30 or more since you're getting repeated exposure every time you ride.

Generally speaking, 15 should protect you from burning (dependent upon length of time in the sun and your natural skin protetction, of course), but tanning still does damage to your skin and increases your risks of skin cancer. The only truly safe sun is no sun. Or you could wear a wetsuit.

· Registered
63 Posts
Don't forget about your lips!

Mine got scorched during two days of racing in the desert outside Los Angeles. It really reallly realllllly hurts. I almost thought I'd pass out during the ITT due to the pain of my lips feeling as if they were being burned off with a hot iron. Moral of the story: LIP TRIP is, by far, the best lib balm with SPF. Comes in a black tube stick. Stays on forever (so feels a bit thick, but deal) and works really well (also great for winter sports).

· Registered
676 Posts
To immediately eliminate the majority of pain associated with sun/windburn, apply clear vinegar...place a cloth on the affected area and pour the vinegar onto the cloth...let it remain for a few minutes...Vinegar is also an antiseptic and antibiotic and will help your skin return to it's natural ph. I've used this method since childhood when I used to stay at the pool 10 hrs/day....

Your sunblock should contain UVA & UVB protection.....
http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/HPI/CME/S...eadings/Prevention/SunscreensUseandMisuse.htm
http://remedyfind.com/rem.asp?ID=23818
http://www.vinegarbook.co.uk/Relieve_sunburn_and_wind_burn_with_vinegar.shtml
http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter97.asp

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Man, I feel bad for you guys.

I live in Seattle and have "olive" skin. I own SPF 15 and occasionally SPF 30. I use it on my nose and cheeks, and for arms on rides over 2 hours.

I know, cancer, you should always wear your iridium-foil hat, etc...

· Registered
1,418 Posts
Hell, I used 50 for a century the other day and STILL came back a little pink on the face.

Definitely melanin challenged... I think I need to start wearing a freakin' ski mask on the longer rides.

· Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
To answer the OPs question about clothing with UV protection, a lot of companies are making stuff specifically woven to block UV rays now. A plain white cotton T shirt typically offers around 3-5 UV protection, but REI, Columbia, and ExOfficio make shirts and pants that range into the 50+ range. I believe PI has started making some cycling shirts that are of the same concept. They are longsleeved, but very lightweight shirts that will offer you another layer of protection from the sun. You should check out the REI website because I know it will tell you about the sun protection level offered in certain products.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
Just once, get a zebra-striped sunburn on your scalp via the helmet vents. Not a lesson that needs repeating. Heck of a fashion statement, too.

Headsweats are a great invention - much better than trying to get sunscreen between what's left of the hairline.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
SuperB said:
I'll vouch for the Bullfrog. I use the gel which dries on clear and non-oily.
I forgot to use it on a ride last week, now I have a line down the side of my face from my helmet strap!:cryin:
yup...makes my face break out and stinks really bad, but it works. I like the gel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.