Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the wind was cranking at 16 to 23 out of the S SE and I HAD to ride. My wife wanted to go shopping for plants and some lumber etc in town some 20 miles north of us. I told her to take my truck and meet me at the lumber yard at 10:15......WOW......what a thrill ride....with the exception of a few east running bits (nasty, nasty crosswind, bordering on dangerous) I had a rear right 1/4 wind for 19 miles! My average was 19.3 mph when I hit the center of town and it would have been much faster BUT on a 48/18 I can only spin like that for a reasonable period of time.....I was on my brakes a LOT. 130 rpm is scary on these lumpy, bumpy roads on a fixed....one word WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RoyIII said:
AND you had a ride home into the wind - in a truck!
That was the plan....and it worked perfectly.....
I ride into the wind all the time, anyone living here in WI knows the drill, head into the wind....turn to come home...wind shifts.....ride home into the wind...

(In my defense, I did drive...lol I hate being in a vehicle with my wife behind the wheel)

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fwiw, I would have had a MUCH faster average had I been riding gears.....a 52/13 would have been wonderful...

· Done
4,591 Posts
That Sort Of Reminds Me Of A Song By Arlo Guthrie....

Highway In The Wind
words and music by Arlo Guthrie

Sail with me into the unknown void
That has no end
Swept along the open road
That don't seem to begin
Come with me a love me, Babe
I may be back again
Meantime I'll keep sailing down
This highway in the wind

Evenings just begin the days
And follows with the night
To love you and to be with you
And say that it's all right
Love me while you have me, Babe
I may be back again
This highway in the wind

There's times I feel like going
And there's times I want to stay
Times that I ain't feeling well
And times I feel ok
Now you have time to love me, Babe
And I may have time agian
This highway in the wind

The fortune teller tells me
I have somewhere to go
I look and try to understand
And wonder how she knows
So I must be going now
I'm losing time my friend
Looking for a rainbow
Down this highway in the wind

©1967 (Renewed) Appleseed Music Inc. (ASCAP)
All Rights Reserved.

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
update...by Sunday night the winds escalated to well over 50 mph ...steady, gusting to 60 or 70.....I stayed inside there was sh!t flying all over the place outside....Yesterday morning it took a couple hours to clean up the yard....

edit, sorry I hit enter BEFORE I proofread...had to correct like 5 spelling errors...

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm 25 mi. NE of Madison..yeah last night was a DRAMATIC change...82-84 in the afternoon, strong SW winds...to winds from N NE off the pond and temps fell to low 40's. Calling for patchy frost tonight.....

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I'm 25 mi. NE of Madison..yeah last night was a DRAMATIC change...82-84 in the afternoon, strong SW winds...to winds from N NE off the pond and temps fell to low 40's. Calling for patchy frost tonight.....
Sunday was crazy, I rode home from Devils lake, and as soon as I got on my street the sky opened up, blackout rain. Then by 10:30 it was nice and calm again, so I went out for a night ride and got back on Monday.

Tonight is supposed to get to 36, I think I'll pass on the group ride.

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
threesportsinone said:
Sunday was crazy, I rode home from Devils lake, and as soon as I got on my street the sky opened up, blackout rain. Then by 10:30 it was nice and calm again, so I went out for a night ride and got back on Monday.

Tonight is supposed to get to 36, I think I'll pass on the group ride.
was it as windy out that way as it was here?........morning was 20+ and it got worse all day..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.