Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing my Oakley Radars today after my ride and took the stem sleeves off. They came off super easily.

But how the **** do you put em back on??? It take a crap load of effort to get it through even halfway and I'm afraid I may snap the frame doing so.

Would putting soapy water help? Is this recommended?

Thanks.

//Yeah I got a new pair of Radars to replace the ones I lost back in the good ole' US of A

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
A little lube and it should slide right in!

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it worked. I think my dad may have bent the arms a little as one side is higher than the other. F***! I just wore it for the first time today.

Now I'm really pissed. Oh well.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'm really stupid not to actually use soap to begin with. Seriously, I thought about it, but didn't. That's just so dumb.

Now, I have a frame that's bent at the legs. Awesome. Stupidly awesome. I'm almost so mad that I actually feel like giving the shades to whomever who wants em. Almost.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oakleys are overpriced pieces of plastic. I had a pair of high-end frames that broke every 3-6 months. After the third or fourth break repair, Oakley sent me a bill. I mailed everything back and told them what they could do with their cheap glasses.

Okay, so that doesn't answer your original question, but I feel better. Thanks.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
HikenBike said:
Oakleys are overpriced pieces of plastic. I had a pair of high-end frames that broke every 3-6 months. After the third or fourth break repair, Oakley sent me a bill. I mailed everything back and told them what they could do with their cheap glasses.

One word...Rudy's

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nahh I still love Oakley shades. Expensive? Well, there are $99 Bottlecaps that are much cheaper than many designer brands and I find them very fashionable such that I don't mind getting em for sure.

Visual clarity? I absolutely love em. Sure, again, there are Rudy's etc.

To each their own but I've always been more than satisfied with the frames and visual clarity of the lenses for all my 4 pairs that I have. 5 if you include the ones I lost and replaced with (same one as I lost) but bent the frame legs unfortunately. Never had to use the warranty on any of em so far thankfully.

//I doubt the warranty would cover this bent frame leg now. I just don't want some moreon at a shop who says he'll fix it but just bend it according to the way he sees fit. Then again, I got it off eBay so that's gotta be hard. Oh well.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
HikenBike said:

Don't really understand this. I have broken a couple of frames and have always been able to have them replaced without a problem.
Almost all high performance sunglasses are priced about the same. Smith, Rudys and Oakleys are all expensive. Some hold up better than others but all seem to be pretty well made.
Yes you can buy some glasses at 7-11 but the optics are what your paying for, not the cheap plastic frames.

QIUZ--- what was the first product Oakley marketed?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
VaughnA said:
A little lube and it should slide right in!
that's what she said.

first?

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
VaughnA said:
One word...Rudy's
They're a team sponsor of ours. I'll share the discount code with "friends."

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Off the bike....Maui Jim sunglasses.

On the bike....whatever cheapies I can find because I always seem to break or scratch 'em.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
From the Original creator of Bolle.

www.habervision.com

Amazing prices, amazing optics. I have 3 pairs of these that I am currently "testing", at least that's what I tel my wife.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I just ordered me some Oakley Radars. I've always been an Oakley fan; the M-Frames are about as perfect as you can get for cycling glasses.

Oh, and Uzzie, according to their marketing literature, the material they use gets grippier when wet. So water wouldn't have helped.

Oh, and Uzzie, send me your frames and I'll bring them to an Oakley shop. If they can't fix them they'll replace them (and they're wicked cool about stuff like that, IME).

·
Registered
348 Posts
pigpen said:
Don't really understand this. I have broken a couple of frames and have always been able to have them replaced without a problem.
Almost all high performance sunglasses are priced about the same. Smith, Rudys and Oakleys are all expensive. Some hold up better than others but all seem to be pretty well made.
Yes you can buy some glasses at 7-11 but the optics are what your paying for, not the cheap plastic frames.

QIUZ--- what was the first product Oakley marketed?
I had one of the first generation Jacket frames. The temples were long and thin. The temples would fatigue over the course of a few months and break. The local Oakley dealers kept a box of extra temples because so many customers came in with the same problem. If the local shop didn't have any extras I would have to send them to CA for repair/replacement. It got to the point that the local guys couldn't keep enough temples on hand so I was shipping my glasses off every few months. I don't remember the details, but Oakley started to bill me for the replaced temple.

I have been through various brands since Ray Ban, Bolle). I bought Smith Factor Max for cycling, and have been very satisfied.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Mebbe that's why they cost a kazilion dollars.:p

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DrRoebuck said:
I just ordered me some Oakley Radars. I've always been an Oakley fan; the M-Frames are about as perfect as you can get for cycling glasses.

Oh, and Uzzie, according to their marketing literature, the material they use gets grippier when wet. So water wouldn't have helped.

Oh, and Uzzie, send me your frames and I'll bring them to an Oakley shop. If they can't fix them they'll replace them (and they're wicked cool about stuff like that, IME).
The Radars have been my favorite pair of shades ever since I got em. Was really bummed when I lost them back in Georgia. (It HAD to be Georgia. :D :D)

These are my replacements but whoop de freakin doo, it's bent (the shape, not the Rbr-er).

They do get grippier when wet (not koad) and I can definitely attest to it and love this feature for sure. I've seen friends' glasses fly off etc when they run track while my M-Frame or Radar just sticks in place comfortably. Soapy water helped with the ear stems though. The soap was the factor.

I loved my M frame but the Radar lenses are just absolutely perfectly done with the hydrophobic coating infused vs. the spray on version they sell in a bottle. I wash the lenses, flick em, and they're almost totally dry.

PM me yer addie and I'll ship my shades out to you if I still can't bend em in place later on. I'm afraid to break em coz it looks contorted when I try bending em and any extra force seems like it'd snap the damn frame.

Thanks Doc!

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
uzziefly said:
The Radars have been my favorite pair of shades ever since I got em. Was really bummed when I lost them back in Georgia. (It HAD to be Georgia. :D :D)
No sir! I still contend they were NOT on your bike when I moved it from the garage to my bike rack. Oh wait....you're blaming the whole state, not me. Ok, I'm good with that. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts