Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to try and do some commuting for the first time. My ride will be going west into the sun followed by some after dark riding. What should I do about glasses? A long time ago I had some photochromatic prescription glasses that changed with the light conditions but I don't think that they got dark enough for riding into the sun. I wear contacts so I don't need the prescription anymore but was wondering if the technology got better on those types of lenses. My Oakley sunglasses that I normally wear to ride have interchangeable lens but it seems like it would be a hassle to change them mid ride. The lenses are also pretty expensive. I could also get a cheap pair of clear glasses and swap them when needed. The only issue with that is that I would be worried about damaging the Oakleys while they are in my pocket.

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have read that the photochromatic glasses (at least the cheap ones like Nashbar and Performance) do not really get dark enough for riding in the sun. I don't own any so...take the advice for what it's worth.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
nosaj111 said:
I have read that the photochromatic glasses (at least the cheap ones like Nashbar and Performance) do not really get dark enough for riding in the sun. I don't own any so...take the advice for what it's worth.
The Performance ones (Cat1) work for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I can't wear most cycling-specific glasses because my prescription won't handle the wrap. So I look for sunglasses with decent coverage. Last spring, I bought some Maui Jim glasses with Transition lenses and they have worked out great for me. It's usually dark when I commute to work in the morning and bright in the afternoon. The Transition lenses are clear in the darkness, but do a good job shielding sun in daylight. Although they don't get as dark as many sunglasses, they are dark enough for me.

I've had glasses with interchangeable lenses, and it's a pain switching them out. Plus you are more likely to scratch or damage the lenses if you change them a lot. I would at least go by an optical shop and check out the Transition or similar lenses before buying new sunglasses. Make sure you try them outdoors on a sunny day as they won't darken much indoors or if it's cloudy or dim outside.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
i love my photochromatic Tifosi's, they are perfect for predawn commutes and full blown Florida sun afternoon commutes.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I have interchangeable lenses. I don't like the photo-chromatic lenses for the same reasons you don't. I commute to work at 5:00AM, and I've found the photo lenses never really get clear. Likewise, they don't get dark enough in the sun. Besides, I live in one of the top 10 cloudiest places in the U.S. and I use the yellow lenses quite a lot.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
I have a pair of "Light Night" glasses from Tifosi that I really like. They go from clear to about 85 percent. My eyes are very sensitive to bright light thanks to my gas permeable contacts, and while they don't get super dark, they still block enough light. I had another pair of Tifosi transition glasses and they didn't get light enough for my purposes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had few of the glasses mentioned..

The oakley transitions live on my head. I have a pair of tifosis for races and mountain biking where they are more at risk, but the oakleys rule. They are plenty versatile for sunset and spring morning rides on the coast of maine, skiing in very flat light in the morning as well as the full bore noon-day sun. I ride in everyday year round and they work in almost all situations. The only drawback; the cost. They were not cheap, but I am still happy(three years later) to have purchased them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use a pair of Oakleys with Persimmon lenses (orange) for most rides. Paired with a cycling cap with a brim, it's good for all but the brightest conditions at which point I swap out for darker lenses.

The Persimmon lenses are also great for mountain biking where you pop in and out of woods. Much easier on the eyes than transition lenses.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts