Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I've seen both, but the more experienced riders seem to wear them outside? Yes, no? And why?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Glasses go flying . . .

as you frantically remove your helmet in an attempt to rid yourself of the bee/wasp/hornet before it stings. Particulalry bad scene when you're riding in a group.

Been there.

soup

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
soup67 said:
as you frantically remove your helmet in an attempt to rid yourself of the bee/wasp/hornet before it stings. Particulalry bad scene when you're riding in a group.

Been there.

soup
My helmet got caught in my sunglasses. I ended up tearing them both off. Glasses got ran over by a bike behind me. Helmet got smooshed by a car passing. I'm nearly blind. Basically, So blind that I couldn't ride home. Had to pull over and call teh rents...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
outside if you sponsored

Outside so that the logo on the arm is clearly visable - not kidding this why they wear them outside the strap. My wife gets her glasses for free so they outside I pay for my so I wear em however I want - which is usually inside.

FishrCutB8 said:
...I've seen both, but the more experienced riders seem to wear them outside? Yes, no? And why?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I wear them outside unless it's cold enough to have something over my ears.
When you have them under the straps, it's hard to sit up and take them off and on again.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
TylerDurden said:
my m-frames seem to be specifically designed to make it impossible for them to be worn inside.
Well I think they WERE designed for armstrong... where your number one priority would be to show off that nice O logo.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Depends

Deprnds on the helmet for me. I currently have a Specialized Decibel and wear the sunglasses to the inside. The way the straps are attached to the helment leaves a gap between the the strap and my face- no mater how tight the straps are. The helment fits me like a glove. In fact, Specialized helments are the only helmets I can find that fit my longish head right.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
M Frames haven't changed since 1990 (except for the Pro model).

·
Registered
432 Posts
LBK said:
FYI, you are suppose to wear them outside.
Actually it depends on the frames you have and the shape of your head and the thickness of the ear pieces. I have wrap around glasses and they fit under the straps of my helmet more easily than outside. That said, who ever joined the fashion police? There is no rule that says glasses should be worn outside the helmet straps. By the way, I do wear my glasses outside the straps anyway. And just so you know, I properly wear my helmet with the straps tight under my chin with the helmet level on my head.

·
Registered
277 Posts
uh, how tight do you have your helmet straps if sunglass ear pieces don't fit inside? Helmet straps "tight" under the chin? That would certainly 'splain it. My straps are much looser than that -but still hold the helmet on fine (I could 'prolly get the chin strap over my chin w/o unbuckling it - and yes, this is actually OK). Aside from Oakley M-frames - like all other sunglasses made - if I wore them outside of the straps - the straps would be pressed against one's skull in a rather uncomfortable way.

·
Government Mule
1,328 Posts
The O's on my M-frames would be visible regardless of whether they were inside or outside the straps, but the white is barely visible, (I can't believe I've managed to keep glasses this long without destroying or losing them). Bee stings and such must be dealt with while the frames are outside the straps because Styleman says so!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.