Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, wondering what a good brand of sunglasses/ eye protection would be to get? For a while now I've just worn whatever pair of BS sunglasses I had laying around, but with a birthday coming up I'm looking into getting some nicer ones. Thanks for any advice, have a nice day!

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Hi there, wondering what a good brand of sunglasses/ eye protection would be to get? For a while now I've just worn whatever pair of BS sunglasses I had laying around, but with a birthday coming up I'm looking into getting some nicer ones. Thanks for any advice, have a nice day!
Maybe it's just my head......but I'd suggest not using recommendations as they can be like shoes in that what's comfortable and fits one person won't for another and visa versa.
I actually just use my regular glasses with transition lenses....but my comment above comes from recent shopping for glasses and noticing when trying them on in stores that fit varies greatly.

·
Poseur
116 Posts
Personally, I usually wear tinted safety glasses from a hardware store. They're scratch resistant and impact rated for protection, plus they were only like $10 so it's not a big loss if I break or lose them.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Smith Pivilocs are nice for riding - no frame up top to block your view in an agressive position. And they can be found on sale often. On sale I'd say they are a good value. Tifos are another option that are popular.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Personally, I usually wear tinted safety glasses from a hardware store. They're scratch resistant and impact rated for protection, plus they were only like $10 so it's not a big loss if I break or lose them.
This, or polarized Faux-kleys off aliexpress. The later usually take a month to ship but you can get 3 pair for $25

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I wear Rudy Project Rydon IIs with Rx lenses.

my best cycling gear purchase.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
polarized
Not smart for riding. Camouflages wet spots, tram lines, manhole covers.

--

I have two pairs of the Assos Zegho, one Noire and one Amplify. Rob a bank. Make that two.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
This is a perfect example of the type of bizarre posts that keep the internet entertaining and me coming back. There' nothing wrong with wearing hardware store glasses per se. It's just the casual and straight faced manner in which you threw this out there that got me chuckling.

TravMo, you have Okaley (I'm sure you've heard of that brand). Oakley is a juggernaut and has a bunch of expensively priced options. Then there's Smith which makes the now old but tested Pivloc line. Between these two you can find what you need. If you would like then there are niche brands Bolle, 100%, open Peleton magazine and there are ads for a dozen more.

With cycling glasses I believe points of interest are: coverage, ventilation, lens quality and weight.

Since you are spending money I humbly suggests looking into variable tint photo-chromatic lenses. They're dark in open sunlight but become much lighter when you are on your way home in the early evening or riding under tree cover, or rainy days.

·
Registered
661 Posts
FWIW, I will stick to the real thing. I was crashed by a car and ended up on my face. The sunglass frame broke and while I had over 30 sutures from my forehead into my ear, the lenses held together.And while there is no way of predicting an outcome, by looking at how badly damaged the lenses are I believe my Oakley's saved my eyes.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts

--

I have two pairs of the Assos Zegho, one Noire and one Amplify. Rob a bank. Make that two.

What species of manhole covers and tram lines do you have that are camo'd by polarized lenses?

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I prefer polarized to non-polarized for riding. That said, I like frames with interchangeable lenses because I often just wear clear lenses but want the eye protection and need wind protection for contact lenses.

Good to have a set of frames, clear lenses, sunglass lenses, and low-light lenses for me anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had good luck with photochromic lenses/glasses from Tifosi, Smith and Oakley. I've ridden in the dark with them too and no issues with them being too dark. My favorites are the Smith Pivlocks. You can get them pretty reasonable online at Steep and Cheap, Backcounty.con etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts

I concur. I had the same trouble wearing polarized while riding. I went off the road in a shaded spot, that had a dip, on a corner, hit gravel and almost went down. The road lost definition and "shape". Will never wear them again.

There's another thread here on Oakley's New-ish Prizm lenses. I'd look into those.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
What species of manhole covers and tram lines do you have that are camo'd by polarized lenses?
Shiny ones.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
I concur. I had the same trouble wearing polarized while riding. I went off the road in a shaded spot, that had a dip, on a corner, hit gravel and almost went down. The road lost definition and "shape". Will never wear them again.

There's another thread here on Oakley's New-ish Prizm lenses. I'd look into those.
I agree with the polarized issue, I too wore a pair of glasses that hide the wet spots, dips in the road outlined by road tar seams and manholes covers... I currently wear Project Rudy with clip-in inserts

1 - 20 of 37 Posts