Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Bullfrog Surfers Formula works for me. That stuff sticks to you pretty well. Water and sweat are no match for the Frog's magical glue-like properties. Gotta use plenty of soap and water to scrub it off.

'Course I'm not using it on my noggin..... yet.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I agree with the beane thing, it's the only thing that will work, and putting sunscreen on your head will make the helmet interior disintegrate faster then normal. There was a helmet that came with a internal screen that was suppose to prevent head burns and bugs, but I'm not sure if it's made anymore.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Skull cap ... pick your brand.

As others have said, it's the only thing that will really work. I wear one year round and don't have issues even in 100 degree heat (you will sweat regardless of cap or not).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Riding in the summer, out here in Phoenix can get pretty toasty. As a fellow chrome dome, I've went ahead and just committed to the beanie style head wear. I've got the Sweatvac model, and it works good. I don't even notice it's on, and it keeps the sweat out of my eyes, and over 22 mph, it feels like it adds a little cooling effect!!

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Try the Assos roboFoil scull cap.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Another point re cap v sunscreen: A cap helps prevent sweat running into the eyes. Perhaps you don't have that problem but I definitely do when going commando under the helmet. Nothing more pleasant than a mixture of sun screen and salty sweat in the eyes.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree with the beane thing, it's the only thing that will work, and putting sunscreen on your head will make the helmet interior disintegrate faster then normal. There was a helmet that came with a internal screen that was suppose to prevent head burns and bugs, but I'm not sure if it's made anymore.
I made my own screen. It's a UV rated screen for screen doors.
It keeps the sun and the bugs off my head.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
A white Headsweat skull cap
I'm not a skull cap/bandana/headsweat user but for those who do, even in hot weather you can stay cool by occasionally shooting some water in the vents of your helmet. As the sweat evaporates the salt content of what is left behind rises and so the evaporation rate declines (colligative properties). Fresh water will dilute the salt and restore the evaporative cooling that is the key.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I have nicer tech-fabric skull caps... and they are warm... nice for colder weather rides. In the warm summer months I use the el-cheapo do-rags. The thin cloth ones sold in places like Walmart or flea markets.... ether place for only a buck or two.

They are lightweight and cool.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Sun screen is messy and it keeps you from sweating so you get hotter. Me no like. Arm skins and skull cap is the way to go IMHO.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Sun screen is messy and it keeps you from sweating so you get hotter.
This is absolutely correct. I use to live in the Mojave Desert area of California and tried using sunscreen while cycling and I felt like my skin was on fire, I was much hotter feeling using sunscreen then without, so I rode without. BUT, note the big BUT, if you are a very fair skin person riding without sunscreen could eventually lead to skin cancer. I lived in the Mojave Desert area for 15 or 16 years and rode everyday without sunscreen, but I have an olive complexion and I didn't burn easily, I have no problems with skin cancer. But again if your fair skin you may have to put up with feeling hot, but wear a skull cap on the head because sweat running down mixed with salt and sunscreen is very unpleasant when it gets into the eyes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.