Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need a high UVA/UVB rating (35 or higher), preferably that has a "dry" type finish (non greasy).

Have used Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, Blue Lizard, Banana Boat Active Dry Performance. Like the Neutrogena best, but there is something in both the Blue Lizard and Neutrogena that stains the heck out my jerseys that have any white to them. Have to pre-treat, then hand wash, then machine wash to remove.

Banana Boat is OK, but I end up white white film in all creases where I've sweat.

Something you recommend?

Thanks

·
Trying to return....
418 Posts
I am about to try the new Neutrogena Ultimate Sport to see if it's better than the Ultra sheer - I like the Ultra sheer but have experienced the same issue as you with the staining my cycling clothes.

I will report back after I ride tomorrow morning, I have a 50 miler planned and will be using the Neutrogena Ultimate Sport SPF 100 for the first time on it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sorry guys I'm from Malta and have olive skin...very rare that if I have to put some on but the UV in Tasmania has lead me to just a standard chemist own brand in a pump pack. I have not had any issues with marks on my kits so I will look tomorrow at what it is and re post (thing its amcal)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Been wondering the same thing lately

I use Coppertone Sport - it seems to work very well but I am also worried about yellow marks on my clothes

@billium - what do you use to get the stains out of your clothes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
WEG said:
Been wondering the same thing lately

I use Coppertone Sport - it seems to work very well but I am also worried about yellow marks on my clothes

@billium - what do you use to get the stains out of your clothes?
I've been using Dawn Power Wash (WalMart/Target in dish soap section - blue spray bottle) to pre-soak just the spots on the white fabric for a few 1minutes prior to washing in Woolite - be careful - DPW will make colors run badly.

EDIT: Product is Dawn Power Disolve. not Power Wash

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Something about at least one of those chemical sunscreens makes white clothing turn dingy. I can't explain it.

I've started using physical sunscreens (zinc oxide and titanium oxide) with good results. So far, All Terrain Aqua Sport and Vanicream are my favorites. Neither is more than SPF 35, but seem to protect better than some of the SPF 50s I've tried (and I'm very fair-skinned!).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Becky said:
Something about at least one of those chemical sunscreens makes white clothing turn dingy. I can't explain it.

I've started using physical sunscreens (zinc oxide and titanium oxide) with good results. So far, All Terrain Aqua Sport and Vanicream are my favorites. Neither is more than SPF 35, but seem to protect better than some of the SPF 50s I've tried (and I'm very fair-skinned!).
Thanks Becky.

Any afffects on jerseys? Where can I find these?

·
Registered
21,540 Posts
Same here

wetpaint said:
I use Coppertone Sport, it doesn't stain my gear and lasts a long long time, even on hot days in the summer
I've used Coppertone Sport Ultra Sweatproof SPF15 for a decade and have never experienced any clothing stains.

To the OP: how did you decide that you needed SPF 35 or higher? SPF 15 (properly applied) means that during a 6 hour ride, you would get the equivalent of 24 minutes of sun exposure. In practice, it's a lot less than that because you're changing directions (and so is the sun) so it would be unusual for one patch of skin to be in the sun the entire time. Going to SPF 35 would mean the equivalent of 10 minutes of sun exposure. Unless you're riding always in the middle of the day and at fairly high altitudes, it's hard to see where 24 minutes (in a 6 hour ride) would be something to worry about.

I am blue-eyed and fair skinned, and I use the SPF 15 for spring skiing at 10,000 feet (3,000 meters). In a week of skiing (out all day, short lunch break) I get a mild tan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Kerry Irons said:
To the OP: how did you decide that you needed SPF 35 or higher? SPF 15 (properly applied) means that during a 6 hour ride, you would get the equivalent of 24 minutes of sun exposure.1
KI:

Short version: Deep family history - running back 4 generations. Personally have never had melonoma, but have had multiple "abnormal" cell moles removed. Dermatologist recommend higher A/B SPF level sunscreen because of specific reason you cite: ie. Properly Applied. Seems nearly zero percent of the population "properly applies" sunscreen. Evidently, sunscreen needs to slathered on with a trowel 30 to 40 minutes before exposure AND reapplied every 60 to 90 minutes thereafter to be considered "properly applied", sweat and waterproof versions as well.

Speaking with my doctor (who knows my nature), he recommend going with A/B SPF 35+ to offset what he considers the unlikely chance that anyone will "properly apply" suncreen, let alone "properly re-apply" sunscreen an hour later. Think belt and suspenders here.

Both you and wetpaint referred to Coppertone Sport Ultra...............will try and find higher SPF version and if available, will give it a try. Thanks.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I use Banana Boat sport with no issues. SPF 30. More than that is overkill, atmo. Also used the Target brand spray on stuff. That worked well, also, but I didn't like that it was a spray.

·
Broken Legs Suck
621 Posts
Timely topic. I was just about to post the same question. I've been using the target brand SPF 30 and i sweat bullets. I don't burn, but much darker than i'd like. May try the Coppertone.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Evidently the sunscreen ingredient that is the problem is avobenzone

Avobenzone is a UVA blocker and has only recently been added to sunscreens - including Coppertone Sport

Avobenzone oxidizes iron in the water when clothes are washed resulting in a rust stain

There is a good explanation at this site:

http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/laundry/msg0710420412862.html?11

Also, cleaners that have an ingredient to clean rust seem to be very effective, including The Works Tub and Shower Cleaner:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf325054.tip.html

Blue Lizard does have oxybenzone, but Blue Lizard Sensitive does not

I started seeing these stains on my bibshorts and was using Oxiclean

Oxiclean seemed to make it worse - consistent with the concept that the yellow stains are from oxidation of iron

I am going to try Blue Lizard sensitive and The Works - I will report back

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WEG said:
Evidently the sunscreen ingredient that is the problem is avobenzone

Avobenzone is a UVA blocker and has only recently been added to sunscreens - including Coppertone Sport

Avobenzone oxidizes iron in the water when clothes are washed resulting in a rust stain

There is a good explanation at this site:

http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/laundry/msg0710420412862.html?11

Also, cleaners that have an ingredient to clean rust seem to be very effective, including The Works Tub and Shower Cleaner:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf325054.tip.html

Blue Lizard does have oxybenzone, but Blue Lizard Sensitive does not

I started seeing these stains on my bibshorts and was using Oxiclean

Oxiclean seemed to make it worse - consistent with the concept that the yellow stains are from oxidation of iron

I am going to try Blue Lizard sensitive and The Works - I will report back
WEG:

Thanks for the follow up and your legwork. I have standard Blue Lizard, will be interested in your results with BL sensitive. PM me if the thread falls of the radar before you have an answer.

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
150 Posts
BuenosAires said:
Timely topic. I was just about to post the same question. I've been using the target brand SPF 30 and i sweat bullets. I don't burn, but much darker than i'd like. May try the Coppertone.
A timely topic for me as well. I'll be riding my first century at the end of August and I was looking for a sunscreen to use as well. I will probably go with the Coppertone Sport Ultra Sweatproof SPF15. Do they sell the miniature bottles of it at Walmart? I know I've seen small bottle designed to go in golf bags so I might check out a sports store if need be.

·
BLACKBEARD RIDING CLUB
192 Posts
I use Coppertone Sport 50SPF. While yes, it is a bit greasy and leaves road grime and break dust particles on my legs, I DO NOT have tan line..! :D
I ride in Northern Maryland in the middle of the day, so I need the 50 SPF, but I do occasionally sweat white sun block lines when the temp reaches high 90’s and 100’s :mad:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cancer survivor. Due to a stem cell transplant and certain medications, I shouldn't be in the sun at all. I use Bullfrog Drygel spf 36 or 50, and never have any problems.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
billium said:
Any afffects on jerseys? Where can I find these?
None yet, even on my white sun-blocking arm skins. I get them at drugstore.com. These were two that EWG liked (or hated less), which contributed to my decision to try them.

Thanks to WEG for the explanation about which chemical blocker does this and why!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts