Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the process of restoring an old project bike. I was wondering if it would be a good idea / even possible to service the rear derailleur, which is a Suntour Cyclone M-II. The back side of the mounting bolt does not appear to be a C-clip, but rather a notched ring of sorts :confused: . Is it possible to take out the mounting bolt?

What about the bottom bolt holding the cage to the derailleur body? Is that removable? Perhaps the little screw beneath it has something to do with it? It looks a lot like many of the older derailleurs, but I'm a youngster and not sure if you can overhaul them. I don't want to destroy the derailleur-- I can always just soak it in some mineral spirits and be done with it if its not serviceable. Unfortunately I have no experience working with vintage parts (friction shifters, etc.) but it's been fun so far.:p

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
if it has threads, its removeable...
if not, follow the dunking in mineral spirits and then lubing with some sort of straw route, its worked for me before.
mineral spirits+toothbrush would be my choice...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After doing a little more researching, I think I found out what the strange looking 'notched' nut for the mounting bolt is. It's called a "kingsbridge lock nut" that requires an old school special tool. I think a pair of circlip pliers might do the trick.

What about the lower pivot bolt? Does that come off simply by holding the pulley cage steady and twisting the bolt? I don't want to break it if you're not supposed to do that...

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Out of curiosity, other than replacing a broken spring or connector or other small part, what is the benefit of disassembling a derailleur rather than simply flushing it with a cleaning/degreasing agent and re-lubing it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I actually found that thread researching and some schematics, too. I think I know how to take it apart+reassemble now. It actually isn't TOO different from modern shimano ders.

But actually, you're probably right-- it might be more trouble than its worth. The only thing is that (in case its not evident from the photos) the RD really is in pretty gunky shape. Will flushing/soaking really be able to get all the nooks and crannies clean enough?

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
I'm not sure if you're aware, youngster, but this is a first-rate classic derailleur (to some of us). I advise against d*icking around with it. :) The soak/lube route is quite adequate.

dslfoolish said:
I actually found that thread researching and some schematics, too. I think I know how to take it apart+reassemble now. It actually isn't TOO different from modern shimano ders.

But actually, you're probably right-- it might be more trouble than its worth. The only thing is that (in case its not evident from the photos) the RD really is in pretty gunky shape. Will flushing/soaking really be able to get all the nooks and crannies clean enough?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OES said:
I'm not sure if you're aware, youngster, but this is a first-rate classic derailleur (to some of us). I advise against d*icking around with it. :) The soak/lube route is quite adequate.
You won me over. Soaked it in some mineral spirits and it's looking gorgeous already. :)

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
Oh, and FWIW, it ain't that different from modern Shimano derailleurs because Shimano stole the design when the patent ran out. HTH!

OES said:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.