Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
here's a fun quote from Ball:

"The past is the past. We have a moment right now to change this sport. Let's move forward. If it means giving these guys amnesty, do it. Stop digging up graves. This sport is going to wither on a vine and die if this continues. Sponsors are bailing out. <b>If things continue with these conditions, I can't do anything else but exit.</b> It doesn't make any sense business-wise."

here's hoping "things continue".

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
blackhat said:
here's a fun quote from Ball:

".... This sport is going to wither on a vine and die if this continues. Sponsors are bailing out. If things continue with these conditions, I can't do anything else but exit"
My prediction: the sport of cycling will be around long after Rock&Republic has faded and whithered away.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out....

·
Registered
111 Posts
My prediction is that Cipo will kick Ball in the balls before end of spring. Cipo is wanted for tax evasion and there`s no way Ball can dish out all that credit, there`s only so much swag you can rent in today`s credit economy...

·
Slow and Steady
227 Posts
I guess Cipo didn't like all the green on the RR bikes: (or the DeRosa frames...)

Team bikes:

It's cool a 40+yo got on the podium though! I guess he hasn't lost that much since he retired the first time.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Nice bike -- like the Roman-styled lettering on the CIPOLLINI. Vini Vidi Vinci. Awesome to see a near 41-year-old rider finish third today. If anyone saw the cycling.tv coverage today in the final 3 km or so, they had a helicopter shot and Cipo's positioning on each of the turns was awesome -- he was generally fourth wheel and he would -- going through a turn -- stay on the "top" of the turn so by the time the 3 riders ahead of him cut past the apex he would be on the 3rd rider's wheel without having had to slow down much. All that experience really showed.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,267 Posts
Is Cipo the best sprinter ever? He certainly had a long reign, and now after more than 2 years he is showing that he can at least be near the group. The ToC has a pretty strong field.

I admit to initially hating Rock Racing, however I do not want to see the guy leave the sport. The sport needs some fanatically dedicated owners. I just hope like crazy he is running a clean team. His idea of giving people a second chance is nice too, though he happens to pick some of the worst examples.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Is Cipo the best sprinter ever? He certainly had a long reign, and now after more than 2 years he is showing that he can at least be near the group. The ToC has a pretty strong field.
Maybe, if we're talking about bunch sprinters in the sunshine.

·
my legs hurt
1,014 Posts
cheers to rock racing

people outside the sport are actually paying a little more attention now. Congrats to Ball for giving the finger to convention and running his team the way he wants to (i just hope they're clean).

I like that he's giving racers second chances, I love that he brought Cipo back and love that ho seems to enjoy dumping money that he undoubtedly isn't going to be getting back. We need more sponsors who do it because they love cycling.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't kid yourself

Mr Ball is in it for the marketing opportunity. One thing Michael is not afraid of is spending a lot of $$ up front, create a buzz surrounding himself or his product and sit back to rake in the bucks. Classic Hollywood/ media marketing plan. This plan has always worked for him in the past, and will probably work for a while in road cycling.

His traveling show has a tremendous buzz and his booth is quite busy. Selling a lot of posters and t-shirts. Full on image show. Plenty of tats and dark shades, and plenty of bouncer types hanging around for good measure. Fun to watch.

I personally am not impressed with his M.O. As a marketing guy he is pretty damn good. (much better than me), but his personality leaves a bit to be desired.

He claims to be about putting back into the sport that gave him so much. He claims a Jr team and a women's team,in addition to the Pro men's team but he didn't send any women to the Women's Crit in Santa Rosa on Monday? Do these teams exist?

I will have to tip my hat to him and thank him for picking up the plane ride for Cipo. It was great to see him in Northern California racing. Great job yesterday.

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
Pablo said:
Maybe, if we're talking about bunch sprinters in the sunshine.
Or from a break that he solo bridged up to in the cold, Belgium "spring"

Also very good at tossing bottles

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
More pics

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.