Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like more and more the rumors are true for 2009.

Super Record, Record and Chorus should be 11 Speed for 2009! :eek: :cryin:

SR is record with cermaic Bearings throughout. They will be a new lever shape.
Redesign from Centaur and below.

Man, crazy year with the New DA 7900 coming as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone got any guesses as to whether it'll be achieved by:-

1) Narrower sprockets & chain
2) More dished rear wheel
3) wider rear hub

I find it difficult to believe that 1 or 2 would be possible. 3 would mean another new frame standard. Still, mountain bikes are 135 mm aren't they? Maybe that would be it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
fastpedaler said:
Anyone got any guesses as to whether it'll be achieved by:-

1) Narrower sprockets & chain
2) More dished rear wheel
3) wider rear hub

I find it difficult to believe that 1 or 2 would be possible. 3 would mean another new frame standard. Still, mountain bikes are 135 mm aren't they? Maybe that would be it.
The chain has been reduced to 5.5mm, and the 11 sprockets fit in the same space that 10 once did.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
yanksphan said:
The chain has been reduced to 5.5mm, and the 11 sprockets fit in the same space that 10 once did.
How long before chains start breaking. Not a good idea IMO...just a marketing gimmick. Plus there will likely be no 3rd party chains for a while so you're stuck buying Campy's overpriced version(s).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
How long before chains start breaking. Not a good idea IMO...just a marketing gimmick.
People said the same about 9 & 10. When 9 speed and 10 speed chains came out, they broke too - typically due to poor maintenance or incorrect installation - but you rarely hear of them breaking now.

I foresee a few rogue mechanics who don't follow the directions for the 11 speed stuff experiencing broken chains - just like when 9 & 10 came out.

It usually takes a couple of mistakes before some mechanics put their ego aside and read the directions. Supposedly the 11 speed stuff is so different though that mechanics will have no choice but to read the instructions first.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
yanksphan said:
People said the same about 9 & 10. When 9 speed and 10 speed chains came out, they broke too - typically due to poor maintenance or incorrect installation - but you rarely hear of them breaking now.

I foresee a few rogue mechanics who don't follow the directions for the 11 speed stuff experiencing broken chains - just like when 9 & 10 came out.

It usually takes a couple of mistakes before some mechanics put their ego aside and read the directions. Supposedly the 11 speed stuff is so different though that mechanics will have no choice but to read the instructions first.
Yeah...I guess I'm turning into a retro-grouch. When you need specialized tools for everything and tolerances are so narrow that you need a torque wrench to tell you how tight to make it you lose some of the simplicity of working on a bike. It takes more and more skills and tools to do the same job. And for what? One extra gear that really won't make a significant difference? So you can run a straight block 11x21 now?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Yeah...I guess I'm turning into a retro-grouch. When you need specialized tools for everything and tolerances are so narrow that you need a torque wrench to tell you how tight to make it you lose some of the simplicity of working on a bike. It takes more and more skills and tools to do the same job. And for what? One extra gear that really won't make a significant difference? So you can run a straight block 11x21 now?
I hear ya.

I know one of the biggest requests for Campagnolo was increased gear ranges. I had always heard that there were limitations to the rear derailleur that prevented them from doing so.

Maybe the new derailleur, chain and cogset configurations allows them to do so?

Hopefully this is the case, otherwise yes, I agree - it's change just for the sake of change.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
yanksphan said:
Hopefully this is the case, otherwise yes, I agree - it's change just for the sake of change.
What's gonna get the Record guys off their butts and upgrade if not another gear?

Gotta keep sales coming in y'know!

Me? I'm still on the fence about going 10s much less being one of the first adopters of 11s!

I've said this before, but... I started at indexed 6s and was happy. Then 7s came out and that extra gear (either in the middle OR on the end) was a doGsend. Then 8s came out and you could have both the middle (16t) and the big (23t) in the same cassette. STI came out about here and like this upgrade, I waited a bit. Then 9s came out and you got closer spacing between gears (physical size AND tooth jumps) and it is/was great for racing, but I still shifted like I did with 7s for JRA. That 2-tooth gap is just about right for JRA. Now, there's 10s and soon to be 11s that I just don't get. Must be a olde pharte thing.

M

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Campy has always been about marketing and image. Their 10 speed components work great so why change it......It probably won't work any better than the current 10 speed, will cost more and introduce yet more new and confusing standards to the industry. 11 speed will just make Campy seem that much better in the eyes of the campyophiles and that much more lame in the eyes of those who like Shimano and Sram.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
CurbDestroyer said:
With a 38/53 I think a 45 would make more sense than another cog in the back. In fact for the road race I did last year I changed to a 45/53. But then I live in Kansas.
I'll keep my 39x53 thanks. Not everyone lives in a state with no climbing. :)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Even if chain breakage doesn't become an issue, cog and chain wear certainly will.

10 speed chains (from all the manufacturers) have shown markedly shorter life than 9 and significantly shorter life than the old 7/8 speeders.

Back in the "old days" I could easily get 3500+ miles out of the Sedisport chain on my 7 speed DuraAce 7400 with little or no noticeable cog wear. I sure haven't seen that on my 10 speed Campy setup.

And I'm sure 11 speed chains and cassettes will be even more expensive.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Richard said:
Even if chain breakage doesn't become an issue, cog and chain wear certainly will.

10 speed chains (from all the manufacturers) have shown markedly shorter life than 9 and significantly shorter life than the old 7/8 speeders.

Back in the "old days" I could easily get 3500+ miles out of the Sedisport chain on my 7 speed DuraAce 7400 with little or no noticeable cog wear. I sure haven't seen that on my 10 speed Campy setup.

And I'm sure 11 speed chains and cassettes will be even more expensive.
Correct...what is a 10 speed campy cassette these days? Like $150+?

1 - 20 of 151 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.