Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was re-reading the Cycling news article about the new Super Record group and its new wieght will be around 1964 grams. But if you go to the Competitive cyclist website and change the cogset to full titanum there is not a difference in weight? Is this true? So why produce a higher end gruppo and there are no weight benefits? Not bashing campy, actually want to buy super record, but don't understand the extra money if both groups weight the same. (note, this is the weight for the crank, brakes shifters chain, cogset, and derraluiers (SP??))

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
vboy19 said:
I was re-reading the Cycling news article about the new Super Record group and its new wieght will be around 1964 grams. But if you go to the Competitive cyclist website and change the cogset to full titanum there is not a difference in weight? Is this true? So why produce a higher end gruppo and there are no weight benefits? Not bashing campy, actually want to buy super record, but don't understand the extra money if both groups weight the same. (note, this is the weight for the crank, brakes shifters chain, cogset, and derraluiers (SP??))
The only people buying SR will be collectors and thoise with lots of $$ to spend on bike stuff. I think the main differences will be cosmetic (SR is all black anno from what I hear), but I did hear they were using ceramic bearings in the SR group.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,329 Posts
vboy19 said:
So why produce a higher end gruppo and there are no weight benefits? (
It is called marketing.

You put a new sticker on something-relabel everything below it--and sell it for twice the price of the same equipment with last years label.

Clever, no?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Velonews Online article

Would agree with the prior posts on who would be buying SR - of course, I just had to have Record on my last bike when I had planned to get Chorus, so maybe I'm the target market and just don't know it yet.

There is a good article on VeloNews online that detailed Record and Chorus 11 - they said there would be a future article on SR in the print version.

http://www.velonews.com/article/79006/a-breakdown-of-campagnolo-s-2009-campagnolo-record-and

Record has ceramics, but I think there might be even a different grade of ceramics for SR. The article did mention that Chorus would be the same price as 08 and Record would actually drop 2%, so the "value" may be in those 2 lines.

They had the Record and Chorus weights, but not SR - I'm guessing there would be some pretty minor weight savings - Record is at 2015, so maybe just under 2000 to meet/beat SRAM Red.

·
Registered
105 Posts
"They differ by way of the internal mechanism; the internal gears of the Record group run on bearings where as Chorus relies on bushings."

"The Record derailleur, however, has a carbon pulley cage and ceramic bearings in the pulley wheels. Interestingly, Campagnolo has omitted the titanium hardware, which this year’s Record derailleur sports."

Looks like 11-speed Chorus is the new Centaur and 11-speed Record is the new Chorus. So much for no price increase...

Between this and the new Campy hoods, I'm leaning towards 2009 DA.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really the new DA? From my 7800 to Campy its a 265 gm savings. 7800 to 7900 is only 130 grams.. Hmm... Not sure what to do.. I wish the Super Record was alot lighter to justify the extra money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.