Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of this company? They claim to be a small US roadbike company with bikes made in the USA. Their products look real good on paper. Anyone out there own one or know anything about this company?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Conceited name much?

Browsed through their site; I haven't seen more undisguised marketing drivel in a long time. I feel like I just got off the phone after a 30 minute battle with a telemarketer...

I can't say anything about the bikes; I haven't heard of them at all.

But man they need to work on their marketing. "built in the USA" (in quotes) everywhere, but not a single physical address anywhere on their site. No mention of their factories or where they are, etc. This is by far not the norm for US bike companies (big or small) that love to claim "handmade in smallville, PA" and the like and then show you all sorts of photos of their plants, etc. That on top of all the over the top sales pitch drivel and use of the word "superior", well it just makes me queasy and a bit nervous personally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I emailed them and they answered some of my questions. Frames are made in Asia. Small company in bloomsburg pa. They r going to be at interbike in vegas later this year. Party even agree to let me see bikes in person. I'm in NJ so it's a 2 he ride. Seemed nice. Still checking out some other options including jamis xenith comp

·
Registered
591 Posts
So as I suspected they are falsely advertising.

Slapping foreign parts on a foreign frame does not "built in the US" make otherwise all bikes would be able to use this designation as most see final assembly at bike shops...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus03.shtm
"Assembled in USA Claims
A product that includes foreign components may be called "Assembled in USA" without qualification when its principal assembly takes place in the U.S. and the assembly is substantial. For the "assembly" claim to be valid, the product’s last "substantial transformation" also should have occurred in the U.S. That’s why a "screwdriver" assembly in the U.S. of foreign components into a final product at the end of the manufacturing process doesn’t usually qualify for the "Assembled in USA" claim."

Don't expect them to stick around...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I hear you on that, but the reality is that most of the big names out there including jamis, felt, cervello, fuji, giant and now even cannondale are producing their frames in Asia. It's just the reality of our days. The companies named produce fine bikes. Anyway I've got my eye on a fuji team and also the jamis xenith comp. Keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Looks like a joke to me too.
Similar business model as Neuvation with the added dishonesty.

If you're looking for a company that really is what they claim to be check out Aegis in Maine (if they are still in business).

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
boriqua935 said:
Yeah I hear you on that, but the reality is that most of the big names out there including jamis, felt, cervello, fuji, giant and now even cannondale are producing their frames in Asia. It's just the reality of our days. The companies named produce fine bikes. Anyway I've got my eye on a fuji team and also the jamis xenith comp. Keep everyone posted.
yeah, we all know that. In fact there is probably more expertise in Taiwan than the US when it comes to carbon and being made in Asia could be considered a plus.
That is not the point Cougar made. Unethical marketing is. He didn't say the frames suck. They might be fine. But I still would not trust or reward such shady marketing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have no problems with asia/taiwan/where-ever made frames. I own 3 (two from Taiwan and one from Italy), and I now own one that was handmade 2hrs from my house in CO.

I, however, have a MAJOR problem with companies that won't give me a straight answer and/or flat out lie.

ALL of the major manufacturers are upfront about where their frames are being produced. Also their frames are their designs and built to their specifications not picked out of a catalog of "cheap carbon, slap your label here" frames (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that either). Not all frames are created equally.

This company stinks of deception, lies, and bad business practices. You really want to bet they'll be around and happy to deal with you when/if your frame cracks in a year? Want to bet your safety on them paying for more than the bare minimum quality control in that manufacturing process? You can bet Specialized or similar will be there and honor their warranty. If I were a betting person I'd bet SuperiorLite doesn't even exist (they aren't registered with the BBB, and they are going to get caught in this "built in USA" fraud, or simply not get business).

There are plenty of reputable options for "cheap" carbon if you want to go that route. Neuvation being the first that comes to my mind. They've been around awhile, are upfront about their frame sourcing, and get great reviews.

Heck I think even the ebay pedalforce direct buy type individuals are probably more trustworthy than this "company" in my mind. Some of them have been around awhile, and reviews seem to indicate people get reasonable frames and reasonable problem resolution with them (though maybe there are a few more problems than if you walked into a LBS or ordered from Neuvation).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fyi

Just some follow up info after an email:

We are affiliated. SuperiorLite Bikes, LLC is a
corporation registered in Pa. and also a member of
the National Bicycle Dealers Association as a
registered manufacturer. You will not find
registration with the BBB unless you have a retail
store or you have a complaint registered against
you -- we have neither. You may call me (Tom)
directly at 570-854-9869 if you wish. Thanks
again.

·
Registered
591 Posts
So glad you are emailing them all of my concerns *eye roll*

If you'd like to let them know, there have been official complaints registered against them with NBDA and the FTC.

Not that I expect anything will happen, but whatever, I feel better and it took all of 5 minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Internet expert on SuperiorLite

It never ceases to amaze me how some people think they are experts on a subject because they can be rude or obnoxious on internet mediums. This seems to be the case regarding Cougartrek and his implied expertise on SuperiorLite Bikes. I must say that a caller alerted me to the distortion of facts that apparently seems predominant in the posters threads. Since this poster has never seen nor ridden nor even reviewed real purchasers / riders nor apparently their review of these bikes it would be a fact to state that the poster does not know anything about which he writes. The only shred of truth to anything stated is the less than optimal marketing as we build bikes and not web sites. So here are some true facts to ponder: SuperiorLite Bikes are actually built in Pa. and we source materials from around the world as all bike builders do -- what is different is that someone in China who may not care about your quality purchase is not assembling your bike and putting it in a box to ship to you as is the case with 95% of all bikes. Just a note that this fact can be verified by the NBDA which number you apparently have. We actually build them, inspect them, discard anything that would not be prudent to build with, specify to our engineering partners what we want built and then offer this at a price that is more than reasonable. Much training/schooling under some pretty famous builders occurred prior to this venture. If you take a look at the specifications you will note that many of our bikes are using high end materials that if found on other bikes would certainly be much more. I could go on but truth is if you have a question -- simply ask -- I would be happy to share. Our bikes are receiving great reviews because they are great bikes -- the price doesn't hurt either. Thanks for your time to read this thread. President/ SuperiorLite

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Paragraphs! Holy mother of God! Paragraphs!

That being said, always cool to see the President of a company actively engaging his customer base, good on ya!

·
Tonkabaydog
109 Posts
haedricht said:
It never ceases to amaze me how some people think they are experts on a subject because they can be rude or obnoxious on internet mediums. This seems to be the case regarding Cougartrek and his implied expertise on SuperiorLite Bikes. I must say that a caller alerted me to the distortion of facts that apparently seems predominant in the posters threads. Since this poster has never seen nor ridden nor even reviewed real purchasers / riders nor apparently their review of these bikes it would be a fact to state that the poster does not know anything about which he writes. The only shred of truth to anything stated is the less than optimal marketing as we build bikes and not web sites. So here are some true facts to ponder: SuperiorLite Bikes are actually built in Pa. and we source materials from around the world as all bike builders do -- what is different is that someone in China who may not care about your quality purchase is not assembling your bike and putting it in a box to ship to you as is the case with 95% of all bikes. Just a note that this fact can be verified by the NBDA which number you apparently have. We actually build them, inspect them, discard anything that would not be prudent to build with, specify to our engineering partners what we want built and then offer this at a price that is more than reasonable. Much training/schooling under some pretty famous builders occurred prior to this venture. If you take a look at the specifications you will note that many of our bikes are using high end materials that if found on other bikes would certainly be much more. I could go on but truth is if you have a question -- simply ask -- I would be happy to share. Our bikes are receiving great reviews because they are great bikes -- the price doesn't hurt either. Thanks for your time to read this thread. President/ SuperiorLite

I am not a schiller but let's cut these guys some slack. They are enthusiasts like many her who are likely doing this for the love of the sport. Do the math.... they are taking risk starting a business and won't make millions. They do it because they probably just enjoy it and the few extra bucks they make support their habit.

One of the frames they sell, I think it's their SL Race frame, looks much like what many have been bragging about and buying on ebay for $400-500. They are selling this complete with SRAM Force and carbon components with a nice wheelset for under $2000. That is pretty darn close to what it costs to piece together on you own... and you get the peace of mind knowing these guys are putting them together. Several posts in the Carbon Chinese EBAY Frame thread, not too many, discuss some minor issues that need attention when working with these frames. Albeit, a low probability, I don't want to take that chance on my own. Plus, if your a newbie like me, better factor in another +$200 for someone to put it together at a LBS. That is if they will and know how to work with these frames.

So there you have it. For guys like me, not looking to spend +$3700 for a Wilier Izoard with Force, they along with several other lesser known brands like Nuevation and others provide a very nice alternative to consider. I have not purchase one yet, but it is one I am considering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why SuperiorLite

I appreciate the interest in our bikes. We are a small company with max production of 500 bikes/yr currently. I am a trained bike mechanic and wheel builder via some pretty famous guys in the industry which I feel honored to have trained under. I decided to turn my burning passion into a corporation 2 years ago after a small bout with cancer and my wifes ongoing big bout with stage 3C cancer. My other business had me travel the east coast and home time was too little. Fortunately I had the resources to pull together a small company building very good bikes and now spend most nights home with the family. I am a work a holic and perfectionist who has learned never to take family or life for granted and in so doing have gotten back to passions of the heart. We currently sell to bike shops in 3 states and my guess, if we so choose, is that you will see us in many more for some time to come. We are still uncertain of the internet business model but are experimenting with it none the less. Sorry for the paragraphs but people seem to want to know -- so now you know. Bottom line is we build as good a bike as anyone and while we would love them all to be SL Pro Dura Ace models we build for a broad spectrum of users in different price points. I love this industry, love the riders and appreciate my customers so if you have any questions please email me and I would be happy to answer them. I promise to do a better job with our marketing too :) SuperiorLite

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
tonkabaydog said:
That is pretty darn close to what it costs to piece together on you own... and you get the peace of mind knowing these guys are putting them together
Can't argue with that. But we are talking about assembly here, not building frames or components. That makes the "Built in the USA" mantra misleading. Not a big deal in the marketing world, but it sets the teeth of a knowledgable customer on edge, as clearly reflected in this thread.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts