Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed this crack on the top tube over the weekend. The crack starts on the left side of the "System Integration" logo and extends down the left side of the top tube between the letters "T" and "U" in word "Tube". I took it to the bike shop and they felt it was a paint crack and that no frame damage has occurred. They marked it with a sliver marker and asked that I continue to ride it and monitor to see if it gets any worse.

I purchased this bike new in August last year (2010 SuperSix 2) so it's barely 8 months old. The bike shop said paint cracks are covered for 1 year and they could ship my frame off to be repaired by Cannondale.

I would like any input as to what might be causing the paint to crack and any advice what I should do? My first thought was the frame was cracking underneath. Has anyone experienced cracking in this same location (top tube)?

I take really good care of my bike, always stored indoors, never crashed, no potholes hit, never really put much stress on the bike at all. I'm 5'10, 168 lbs. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Naso Unicornis
875 Posts
First time seeing this on the China made Super Six. I believe we something similar on the US made Super Six. Send it back to the factory. If it's structural then you'll get a new frame. Don't take chances. Can you imagine if the head tube separated from the top tube on a descent or sprint? Not good.

Be safe and send it back.

C.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tap the tubing and listen for a dull thud - if the frame isn't cracked, it will ring.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The sound is more dull if I tap on the cracked area compared to an inch down the top tube (closer to the seat). I don't hear the ringing sound until I get an inch away from the Si logo. Hard for me to tell if it's the crack or just the increased support of the head tube.

The bike shop also tapped on the cracked area and felt it was not structural. They said they've replaced over 200 carbon frames this year alone so they know when a frame is cracked. They said that a crack wouldn't occur in this area. I don't know what to think because something is causing the paint to crack. I have 1,518 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Personally, as a ealier person mentioned, I wouldn't take the chance! Keep in mind with carbon, typically when it cracks it cracks - so although they marked it with a marker, you most likely won't see the crack increase because the next time it cracks it will probably be a total failure. If its under warranty send it back!

·
Naso Unicornis
875 Posts
There's two things to think abot here. First and foremost is your safefty. You simply cannot afford to take that chance. Second, this seriously affects the value of the bike. While you might risk the chance of the bike breaking under you, I doubt that most prospective buyers will take that chance. Paint crack on a carbon frame raises eyebrows.

Please have the bike repaired. You stand nothing to lose and in fact have a legitimate claim. Cannondale warranties the paint for a year. Have it repaired or replaced. There shouldn't be any resistance on the dealer's part. You are following the warranty guide lines to the letter.

You might be without your bike for some time but it's better than not being able to ride because you're in the hospital for an equal length of time.

C.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Sucks that happened...I agree to have Cannondale inspect it.

If they do warranty it...the wait is going to suck. I don't see how Cannondale can make someone go without their bike for so long...especially if its a defect on their side. Really turns me off on getting another one.

I don't agree on that not being a major stress area. When your up off the saddle and mashing...the twisting of the headtube is all in that area. The top tube is whats resisting the lateral flex on the head tube.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm convinced. I will take it in today and have the bike ship ship to Cannondale. Now that I'm going through the trouble of shipping it off I'm really hoping Cannondale replaces the frame.

Time to dust off the mountain bike.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Good call Mondorock just to be on the safe side rather sorry should any thing happen during the rider. What that a hi-mod version?

·
Velocipediologist
1,562 Posts
Please post up-dates as things progress. Very curious about the comment that Cannondale may re-paint the bike if it is only a paint crack. I have had some shops say that Cannondale is still set up to make paint repairs in Bedford while other shops say that Cannondale no longer has paint equipment in Bedford. A "Cannondale Warranty Center" is part of the corporate label stamped on Bedford, so who knows. Maybe they do still have a paint booth there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sure will. Looks like I need to take it to the bike shop I purchased it from to avoid shipping return charges. I will get it to them tomorrow as they are closed on Mondays. Thanks again for everyone's interest.

·
Registered
292 Posts
+1:thumbsup:
CHL said:
There's two things to think abot here. First and foremost is your safefty. You simply cannot afford to take that chance. Second, this seriously affects the value of the bike. While you might risk the chance of the bike breaking under you, I doubt that most prospective buyers will take that chance. Paint crack on a carbon frame raises eyebrows.

Please have the bike repaired. You stand nothing to lose and in fact have a legitimate claim. Cannondale warranties the paint for a year. Have it repaired or replaced. There shouldn't be any resistance on the dealer's part. You are following the warranty guide lines to the letter.

You might be without your bike for some time but it's better than not being able to ride because you're in the hospital for an equal length of time.

C.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today was the 18th day since I took my bike in and still no word from Cannondale. Any idea what the typical turnaround time is for getting a response? My bike shop said 2-3 weeks but I'm getting very anxious for an update.

·
Superstar
419 Posts
MondoRock said:
Today was the 18th day since I took my bike in and still no word from Cannondale. Any idea what the typical turnaround time is for getting a response? My bike shop said 2-3 weeks but I'm getting very anxious for an update.
It depends, are they waiting for a Cannondale rep to come by and inspect the paint? Or did they determine it was a warranty issue?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Devastator said:
It depends, are they waiting for a Cannondale rep to come by and inspect the paint? Or did they determine it was a warranty issue?
I believe they determined it is a warranty issue and LBS was authorized to send in for inspection. Bike was disassembled and the frame sent in to Cannondale.

·
Superstar
419 Posts
MondoRock said:
They determined it was a warranty issue. Bike was disassembled and the frame sent in to Cannondale.
So they didnt tell you what replacement you are getting? I thought at the time it is determined a warranty they let you know whats in they are sending you to replace it, essentially whats in stock. On both warranties, I did they told me after inspecting the bike it was a warranty issue and they would be sending me a Supersix. Your LBS should know what they are receiving for your Super. Should be the same frame or better.

·
Velocipediologist
1,562 Posts
The OP stated the cracked frame was a Super Six 2. The Super 2 was a standard mod so I would expect that it will be replaced with same.
Owners in this situation always have the option to pay more and get the warranty upgrade. Of course its difficult to justify paying more for what is essentially the same frame.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Devastator said:
So they didnt tell you what replacement you are getting? I thought at the time it is determined a warranty they let you know whats in they are sending you to replace it, essentially whats in stock. On both warranties, I did they told me after inspecting the bike it was a warranty issue and they would be sending me a Supersix. Your LBS should know what they are receiving for your Super. Should be the same frame or better.
We did discuss IF my frame was replaced that I would get the same 2010 frame or equivalent 2011 frame. My LBS said they won't know anything until Cannondale gets back to them. I don't know if this is normal or not but it is pretty frustrating not knowing where this is going to go. Is there anything more I can do to speed the process along?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts