Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of thinking SUP (boarding?) was stoopid, I just ordered one. Should I grow a soul patch? Get weird yoga-tribal tats? This has me so confused now.

Does anyone here enjoy it over other types of paddling? I have a couple kayaks, but since the floods in my area last year, I haven't taken them out due to all the small lakes being lowered for inspection & repairs.

I'm thinking an SUP's lighter footprint will get me through the much shallower water around here, if I don't use the fins.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I tried it last year, partly to see if it was something my wife could do. Was interesting, and for sure would give a good upper body workout and develop core muscles with the need for balance. If you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks?

We went with a Hobie kayak with Mirage drive (foot-powered wing drive) instead due in large part to an issue that can affect her balance. Awesome craft; my kids love to take it out too. We may yet get a SUP, but with 4 other watercraft in my stable I'm not itching for one yet.

A SUP is likely to be easier to transport than a kayak due to less weight. But I'm not sure the shallowness of the water will be a limiting factor. You still need enough water to dip your paddle.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Got two SUPs 2 summers ago and love it! Both of mine are ocean SUP that can be used in flat water or sure. I even have a full carbon paddle!
We each take a kid on one board and they love it. Time to get my soon to be 12 your girl her own board.

·
I make Eagles fly
620 Posts
I want one and wish I lived in a place I could paddle it often. I keep a kayak at my folks place in SD and paddle it with the kids every time I'm home

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
are all you guys flat water SUPers or do any of you live near the ocean?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
I never saw the attraction but last fall we were on vacation in Mexico and my sister in law had one and after a 20 minute lecture on how to go about it, I jumped on, ignored the instructions, stood up and paddled around for an hour or so. It was in Bahia Banderas so it was sheltered but far from flat. It was an "inflatable" board and weighted a ton. I'd like to try a read SUP. Unfortunately, there is no water warm enough here for me to immerse myself in !!!!!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
So this just happened. Hopefully I'll get some use out of it.

Odd shape. What's the marketed use for that? I say odd because the nose looks like a racing SUP but not the rest of it.

I SUP the lagoon in front of my house to look at reef and occassionally cruise down the coast outside the reef catching random waves when it's too small to want to do "normal" surfing. The advantage I see over kayaking is the better view down through the water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.