Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any popular supplements other than Whey Protein and Creatine for improving cycling performance?

What about glutamine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,638 Posts
Supplement value

hoehnt said:
Are there any popular supplements other than Whey Protein and Creatine for improving cycling performance?

What about glutamine?
Creatine does not improve performance for endurance athletes. Whey protein is effectively no different than powdered milk. Nothing has changed since these articles were published.

Monique Ryan, RD, VeloNews, April 8 2002. "Because the FDA cannot tightly regulate dietary supplements, it is the responsibility of the consumer to make informed and safe choices. Health professionals and consumers should welcome supplements that are an established and effective adjunct treatment for weight loss and have a proven safety record. For now, however, it appears that weight loss supplements can't perform magic, some products appear to carry serious health and safety concerns and others come up positive at the dope control."

From the Feb 24, 2003 issue of VeloNews - some interesting comments from Christiane Ayotte, head of Canada's leading anti doping lab. Supplements' "claimed actions, efficiency, or potency have not been thoroughly investigated by controlled clinical studies and remain for the most part anecdotal." "athletes are targeted by the sport nutritional industry by very aggressive and efficient marketing, but for the vast majority of the products . . , the scientific proofs supporting their claims are not there. But the athletes believe: It is more on the side of faith than facts. One only listens to what he wants and becomes deaf, blind to all logical arguments." (Remember that the US supplements industry effectively lobbied congress several years ago and prevented the US FDA from regulating the industry except in cases of human safety. Supplements imported from many countries are even less regulated.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,359 Posts
I highly recommend Endurox after longer/harder rides. I find recovery goes much better if I have a few scoops within a the end of a hard ride and makes it easier to race the next day, far more than anything else I've tried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Bcaa

hoehnt said:
Are there any popular supplements other than Whey Protein and Creatine for improving cycling performance?

What about glutamine?
I prefer BCAA myself. Pop a couple before I leave for a long ride, then pop a few more within 30 minutes of my return. Wash them down w/ 25 gr of whey protein at the return. BCAA seems to help my muscle recovery and minimize pain the next day due to lactic acid buildup. Actually was a suggestion provided by my trainer 2 years ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Powdered Milk???

Kerry Irons said:
Creatine does not improve performance for endurance athletes. Whey protein is effectively no different than powdered milk. Nothing has changed since these articles were published.
.)
Not so sure about the powdered milk vs whey protein comment. While both DO originate as cow's milk, the protein content vs fat, cholesterol, carbohydrates and sodium, etc is not the same. Much higher percentage of whey protain isolates in a modern high-quality protein powder.... You may want to check your Nutrition Facts label.
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,343 Posts
djetelina said:
I prefer BCAA myself. Pop a couple before I leave for a long ride, then pop a few more within 30 minutes of my return. Wash them down w/ 25 gr of whey protein at the return. BCAA seems to help my muscle recovery and minimize pain the next day due to lactic acid buildup. Actually was a suggestion provided by my trainer 2 years ago.
Lactic acid buildup does not cause pain the day following a hard workout. The lactic acid that you produce during a workout is cleared immediately from your system, and levels will be back close to normal by the end of your cooldown.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,427 Posts
Stick with one of the old-time favorites, Amphetamines, if you value performance over dieing of old age.

Unless you're putting in mega miles, some whey should be all you need..........(and that's a maybe)............normal food should provide all you need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Details on BCAA

Andrea138 said:
Lactic acid buildup does not cause pain the day following a hard workout. The lactic acid that you produce during a workout is cleared immediately from your system, and levels will be back close to normal by the end of your cooldown.
I stand corrected, you are precisely correct in regard to lactic acid. Please pardon my efforts to provide a simple explanation, which I felf was more in line w/ this discussion. I also stand by by belief in the benefits of BCAA as a training supplement. For FULL and accurate details on why this is the case you may wish to refer to one of the numerous sites which are available on the net, such as: http://www.ironmagazine.com/review82.html.
All the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
beta alanine... holds off lactic acid build up...

search it here..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

ah shucks.. ill spoil you

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&term=beta%20alanine%20and%20performance&log$=related_query


http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&term=beta%20alanine%20endurance&log$=related_query
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,638 Posts
Fat powdered milk

djetelina said:
Not so sure about the powdered milk vs whey protein comment. While both DO originate as cow's milk, the protein content vs fat, cholesterol, carbohydrates and sodium, etc is not the same. Much higher percentage of whey protain isolates in a modern high-quality protein powder.... You may want to check your Nutrition Facts label.
You typically see powdered milk in the grocery store is from skim milk, so no fat and no chloesterol. Sodium is pretty incidental anyway for someone who exercises (and sweats) a lot. You may want to check YOUR nutrition facts label.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
in Joe Friels book he recomends Creatine, Whey protein, and sodium phosphate. He says you can get very noticable results from the latter.

Isnt that what they give you to clean you out before a colonoscopy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
there are lots of great supplements for a wide variety of things. what no one will ever agree on is if they work, and therefore should you spend money on them. its interesting that most people don't have issues with "food substitutes" and drink mixes. but when it comes to pills, its a whole other story. hmm, that said, an awful lot of people will say chocolate milk, bananas, fig newtons, etc are better/cheaper than anything else. these people are also more likely to enjoy the Paleo diet....bottom line is: no one on this forum will ever agree about supplementation and diet. read and decide for yourself.
 

·
F1000SL
Joined
·
388 Posts
Well if you most I use a custom

made formula as a recovery drink only, maltodextrin and whey protein 80/20 with some additives as insurance. Milk chocalate works really good too.

Remember that most supplements(legal) one only work if you are deficient, so a good diet first and then a little insurance.

Most claims and even studies are at best sketchy, since they are done on 10 or so sendenttary adults or 10 or so sendentary rats.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Or

phatkid77 said:
Nope, that's magnesuim citrate..yum
GO LITELY , they should call it GO WRONG! You have to drink half a gallon of this stuff at least the Mag Cit is only a couple of 12 oz bottles.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top