Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been taking supplemental whey protein for years. I take it after hitting the weights at the gym and for recovery after riding and running. I just finished reading "The Protein Scandal Report," which is advertising propaganda that condemns whey protein and hypes hemp protein. Despite being advertising, I suspect that many of the points it raises about whey protein are valid. So, I'm curious: do any of you folks use supplemental protein? Can anyone recommend hemp vs whey protein?

I'm heading out now for a nice 20-mile lunchtime ride!!!

:)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've never heard of "Hemp" protein. I can tell you that there are no good (RCT) studies using hemp protein on protein syntheis or athletic performance.

What are these negative points from "The Protein Scandal Report"?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problems with Whey ?

Here are a few exerpts:

"So, what IS the problem with whey?

Indigestibility...
Catabolic Acidity...
And Intestinal Toxemia...

Mass consumption of whey powder contributes to a condition called intestinal toxemia. This kills anabolism, muscle gains and really shortchanges bodybuilder’s results.

More and more bodybuilders are stopping their careers because of intestinal toxemia. They’ve got massive deposits of whey protein packed into their intestinal tract, which leaves a nice black layer of sludge and reduces the possibility of getting protein into your body - where you need it. If it’s in your intestine, it’s not in your muscles.

Once protein has been denatured, which means it’s been processed over temperatures of around 120 degrees – it kills the enzyme functions in the protein... It annihilates the good bacteria... And these two essential components make the amino acids “alive” or “electrically charged”. In other words, if you heat up the food IT’S DEAD. The nutrition is GONE!

What you need is a protein that’s electrically charged. “Electrically charged” means that the amino acids carry a negative charge. In your intestinal tract, the negative charge allows it to cross your intestinal barrier. If it doesn’t contain that charge, it can’t cross the barrier.

What you’re left with is dead food that cakes up inside your intestinal tract. It also severely limits the amount of nutrients that get inside your bloodstream and inside your muscles.

Whey is Dead.
Literally.

Here’s an example that proves this... When people start taking whey, their hunger shoots up. Why is there an increase in hunger? It’s because the body is becoming protein-starved. It’s can’t get the amino acids to cross the intestinal barrier.

This causes your body to start pulling amino acids out of the smooth muscle around your colon and that causes deterioration in the function of your digestive tract. So, you’re not clearing the old waste product out... You’re not absorbing all the new nutrients in your food... And you’re also robbing essential amino acids from your body.

Obviously, this is a catabolic condition that you want to avoid at all costs.

The bottom line is, if you’re not taking electrically available proteins, you’re not absorbing them and they are useless. Period. And 99% of the proteins on the market today fall into the “useless category”.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Creakyknees said:
how about just eating real food?
Can you still buy that stuff?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What a scam

Looks to me like any other supplement advertisement.

I googled the page to read the actual article and my thoughts are:

1. He spends a lot of time telling you how the "other guy" is lying, cheating, and stealing, but he's here out of the goodness of his heart.

2. There is NO independent data offered to support the claims he makes.

3. The "references" he lists at the bottom are primarily textbooks. Textbooks provide general information and are usually poor sources for reference. There are no scientific articles provided detailing studies that have shown huge amounts of whey protein backing up inside anyone's intestines, or any of the other claims he makes.

4. The most recent reference listed is dated 2001, but is a reprint of a 1979 book. The second most recent reference is dated 1992. There are a significant number of references from the 1940's, 1960's, and 1970's. Are we supposed to believe there haven't been significant advances in organic chemistry since 1945?

Overall, it's hard to say if hemp protein actually does anything better or even equal to whey. If it had, I would think the author (salesman) would have included current, relevant scientific research to support his claims.

It looks like snake oil to me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think just about anything that talks about stuff "packed into their intestinal tract" is B.S. Isn't the fiber in foods indigestible and supposed to pass thru us and be good for us. I know I have read other things on the internet about whey protein passing thru your body too quicly if eaten alone, and needin to consume it with other foods to slow it down to aid in digestion.

Maybe if you are mega-dosing whey protein as some body builders do, it might cause problems, but anything in large amounts can be bad.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Creakyknees said:
how about just eating real food?
"Becuase real food is not advertised and pre-packaged to make me go faster, get bigger, and win by 170%"

That is the problem with many aspects of nutrition today. From protein and supplements in athletics, to "healthy" nutrients ripped from their natural source and sprinkled into this and that. And "healthy" foods or "healthier" options that are no more than junk food with added ingredients, that when in their natural form, are beneficial, but when just added to other foods, not so much. And most people do not consider that energy balance is one of the most important factors regarding nutrient use and outcomes.

From a protein perspective, real food is just as good as all the supplements if not better in many cases. I am not going to list all the reasons here, but animal (beef, chicken, fish, eggs, dairy) are all fine. You don't need supplements and they do tend to cost more per gram than real food.

The main thing supplements have as a true benefit is convenience .

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
MotobecaneLeChampion said:
Here are a few exerpts:

Indigestibility...

Mass consumption of whey powder contributes to a condition called intestinal toxemia.
This kills anabolism, muscle gains and really shortchanges bodybuilder’s results.
False

They’ve got massive deposits of whey protein packed into their intestinal tract, which leaves a nice black layer of sludge and reduces the possibility of getting protein into your body - where you need it. If it’s in your intestine, it’s not in your muscles.

More than likely, if the clogged up intestines holds any truth, it is the lack of fiber and carbohydrates in the diet and not extra protein that is contributing to intestinal problems

Once protein has been denatured, which means it’s been processed over temperatures of around 120 degrees – it kills the enzyme functions in the protein... It annihilates the good bacteria... And these two essential components make the amino acids “alive” or “electrically charged”. In other words, if you heat up the food IT’S DEAD. The nutrition is GONE!Buzz. All nutrients are broken down and/or denatured before they can be absorbed. Carbs are broken down to monosaccaharides, and protein is broken down into individual amino acids and mostly short peptides 3-5 AA before it is absorbed. The stomach is very acidic, and this is to kill bacteria in food and denature enzymes and help unfold protein that we eat.

If you ingest a ton of individual amino acids, they will compete for absorption, but they do not "gum up" your intestine. They just come out the other end or get processed by large intestine bacteria.

Here’s an example that proves this... When people start taking whey, their hunger shoots up. Why is there an increase in hunger? It’s because the body is becoming protein-starved. It’s can’t get the amino acids to cross the intestinal barrier.

If you look in the literature, there is an overwhelming amount of data on satiety showing the exact opposite. Whey protein is often used to control hunger and actuall decreases caloric intake in the following meal.

Obviously, this is a catabolic condition that you want to avoid at all costs.

the whole concept of avoiding "catabolic condions" is retarded. The role of cortisol and catabolism are over emphasized by the supplement industry and then by bodybuilders take that stuff as gospel. If you eat well and enough calories, you are fine in this regard. Catabolic states are only an issue in disease states and severe burn patients. Otherwise, the "methods" used to "reduce" this catabolic state don't make a difference.

The bottom line is, if you’re not taking electrically available proteins, you’re not absorbing them and they are useless. Period. And 99% of the proteins on the market today fall into the “useless category”.

Bull Sheet. Look up the data from D tome and Bohe. they did many studies using whey, casein, and soy on gastric emptying, absorption, muslce protein synthesis and plasma concentration. Whey goes in just fine.
afcdsd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts