Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is meant to be half joking/half serious.
I was racing the in the Gwinnett Bike fest this weekend; which has 1 race per day from Thur - Sun.
Thur - circuit race at Road Atlanta(very steep uphill part at 15% for 100yds or so)
Fri - Crit
Sat - Road race
Sun - Circuit race.

Well, I got a whole bunch of different "sports bars" and drinks: clif bars, sport beans, Some mega caffeinated thermogenic drinks, electrolyte drinks.. I could keep going anyway. I was eating very healthy all week and getting plenty of sleep. I did have some sinus issues at the beginning of the week though. I was carbing up too. I tried a different thermogenic before each race. Didn’t feel any different with any of them.

Thur - got dropped less than halfway through the race. I felt like complete bunk all day before I started anyway.
Fri - Got taken out at the start(somebody clipped my front wheel) I spent over 3 miles avg close to 30mph an didn't catch.. there some inclines on the course. I still didn't "feel" like racing that day either.
Sat - Missed the race:blush2: ..... I looked at the wrong day's schedule...ok you can stop laughing

Well... On Saturday night I went out with some friends to dinner and club. I had a few drinks and had a decent buzz most of the night. I didn't get home till 2am and only got 5 - 6 hours of sleep.. if that. I woke up tired, but I felt ready to race both mentally and physically. Dont know why though... I just felt better.

I drank one of those 5 hour energy shots a little over an hour before the race. My wife said they got her all wired, so I figured I’d give it a shot. I got to the Sunday race about 30 minutes before. Got my gear on and bike ready with 5 minutes left before the start of race. No warm up and only had a clif bar for breakfast(about 8:30 – 9:00) with nothing else to eat since 9:00pm the previous night. I felt great from the gun. This is what I as a speedskater did all the time(as do most other speedskaters). We party the night before, go back to the hotel for a few hours sleep and have no problem competing at 100%. I don’t think that 5 hour thing did much as I didn’t feel anything other than being a little more awake than normal given what I had done the night before.. no rush, not wired.

Sun – I felt awesome. I probably could’ve won the race if I hadn't been taken out by the guy who flatted on the last lap back straight.

Moral of the story: I had been doing all the "right things" leading up and through Saturday. Carbing, plenty of sleep, sports drinks, warming up.. The whole shebang. IMO all that crap only makes a difference at the totally upper echelon of cat 1 and up. For most people that cycling is not their life and they just enjoy the training, camaraderie, and hobby racing, I think you’re better off not worrying about sports foods and drinks. Just eat and drink what you’re body is craving. “Feeling” better will help you more than actually trying to gauge what you body needs.

Any other similar experiences?

Craig

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Why drink a five hour energy drink? Why drink anything thermogenic? You really want your heart rate to quickly come as you recover.... and do you need anything that raises your body temp when you are racing in Atlanta in the summer?

I have a theory--- no legal supplement has any worthwhile performance gains.

But you are really not talking about supplements if you are talking energy drinks and bars. I believe in racing as I train. It makes no sense to be fooling around with fake foods and fake drinks if I don't train with them. A Clif bar might be good to pop out during a long road race, if you need it. A bit of coffee when you wake up is normal and fine. But an "energy drink" is not rocket fuel that will help anyone win a race.

So ultimately, I have to agree with your conclusion.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
filtersweep said:
Why drink a five hour energy drink?
... why not?
I was just trying different stuff to see if anything worked.

filtersweep said:
Why drink anything thermogenic? You really want your heart rate to quickly come as you recover.... and do you need anything that raises your body temp when you are racing in Atlanta in the summer?
I'm from Miami... Atlanta's not that hot compared to what I'm used to. To me anything under 95F and 90% humidity is a comfortable day. I've used that same thermogenic for spinning class and it worked great(yes I take spinning during the winter... stop laughing). At the race this weekend, I didn't feel any difference... positive or negative that I could attribute to the drink. Also, I have an extremly high tolerance to caffeine. I can drink 2 Redbulls and go to sleep. A double shot of espresso doesn't phase me at all.

filtersweep said:
I have a theory--- no legal supplement has any worthwhile performance gains.
I'd agree with that for the most part. I've read/heard that GAKIC is pretty good. The science behind it is somewhat sound and the studies I've seen(independent I think) show promise.

filtersweep said:
But you are really not talking about supplements if you are talking energy drinks and bars. I believe in racing as I train. It makes no sense to be fooling around with fake foods and fake drinks if I don't train with them. A Clif bar might be good to pop out during a long road race, if you need it. A bit of coffee when you wake up is normal and fine. But an "energy drink" is not rocket fuel that will help anyone win a race.
You are correct... I am using the term "supplement" a tad incorrectly... A distinction I often bring up when talking to other individuals in explaining the differences between supplement(protein, vitamins, carbs) and performance enhancers(stimulants, EPO...)

Part of what I was trying to do was to see if eating a clif bar(or similar sports bar), nutritious pre-race meal I found on the internet, or whether eating whatever I wanted had the more beneficial effect.

Eating and drinking whatever I felt like whenever I felt like had the more beneficial effect; which, I believe is a better route to take until eating itself becomes part of your training regimen. That only tends to occur at Cat 1 or higher I would think.

Probably not the most scientific way to go about what I was doing, but I learned some interesting stuff that will probably save me quite a bit of money for the rest of the season.

Craig

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sometimes, it is best to stay within your normal eating because for some people, suddenly changing your diet can have bad effects on your body.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.