Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday afternoon, 75 degrees, golden sunset, deer in the woods, birds chirping, mile 59/61, 1.5 mile winding uphill then coast right into my driveway; sounds like the end to a perfect ride... Until a yahoo (in my favorite reasonable sports car) in a 2009 Porsche 911 Turbo decides he is Walter Rohrl and nearly runs me off the road to join the deer! The rage, the betrayl... It was like meeting your childhood superhero or santa, only to realise he is a chain-smoking, Bud Light chugging, human paper weight, who will probably wind up on America's Most Wanted in the next 10 years. Anyway, I digress. I'm sure we have all been brushed by an automobile at one time or another, but what blows my mind is how putrid the exhaust was and how pathetic the exhaust note was. It smelled worse than an F150 diesel towing a horse trailor (that was a couple of miles earlier), and it sounded like an asthmatic struggling with a kazoo. Now that I write this, I can't help but to wonder, am I more upset that the last mile out of 2 smelled like freely burning diesel and ruining the serenity of the road, or the fact that my once favorite supercar, that costs in excess of $100,000 was put togeher worse than Tara Reid's breasts... It's 2010, even when 'floored' a car's emissions should not resemble Satan's halitosis. Can't wait to be run off the road by a Tesla!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Send your letter into Car and Driver. You will win best letter of the month. Better yet, just ask them for a writing job.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Could have been worse...the horse in the horse trailer could have urinated while driving past you. Have you ever been behind a horse trailer when the horse goes? My windshield was coated as was the front end of my car from just going 35 mph.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
At least you can rest comfortably knowing you will NEVER be hit by a Porsche 911 Turbo.

The driver would likely have a heart attack if he scratched his penis extension as they nudged you into the ditch so you can be sure they're extra careful passing cyclists.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Got run off the road by a Lambo Gallardo(sp) as the surgeons/lawyers Sun morn toy run almost went amuck. Dont know if he was not paying attention, but the car veered right and almost hit me. A 911 S followed and made sure I wasnt hit and zoomed after him.
Hopefully the guy in the 911 told him just how close he was to me. Fast toys are abig responsibility:( Enuff *****in, off to Watkins Glen to see guys who know how to drive..........)

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Mtn2RoadConvert said:
Could have been worse...the horse in the horse trailer could have urinated while driving past you. Have you ever been behind a horse trailer when the horse goes? My windshield was coated as was the front end of my car from just going 35 mph.
ONE horse? Bah- try being behind a cattle truck!
They are the worst.
(and no, thank God, I wasn't riding- I've only had my car coated back when visiting Nebraska. Took forever to get the stench off the undercarriage and everything.)

But generally speaking, I hate being behind any diesel vehicles. Supposedly diesel is "cleaner" now -and the newer trucks aren't as bad as they used to be- but they're all still pretty awful.
It's like they suck the oxygen right out of my lungs.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Garbage trucks. Especially the ones draining suspect fluids behind them.

Got passed by a '57 Chevy today. (The thing is as old as I am!) I'd forgotten how much difference modern emissions systems make.

I don't really mind city buses. The newer ones have catalytic converters and the exhaust at the top. I like drafting them. Man they create huge suction.

·
Unsafe at Any Speed
456 Posts
I sat behind a 50s Chrysler Winsor this morning in heavy traffic. Obviously one carburetor's cold start device was over enthusiastic or something - anyway one exhaust was doing a good Mount Vesuvius impersonation (cough cough). And obviously there was no room to pass this monster.
A 911? Last one which passed me cleared me well and proper, but it was an early 2.0 litre. That model was ditched soon because of noise emissions. The logic of that step was hammered home as my ears were still ringing 2 street blocks later.

0 Posts
Cattle truck ... they're bad ... but not as bad as ... a pig van!

Oh, man ... what is it about pigs?

I love me some bacon, but, dang, pigs stink like nothing else.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
The vehicles that scare me the most are school busses. IME, they'll run you off the road or pass within inches without hesitation.

·
The Cube
1,108 Posts
the odd small may have been that the car was running on race fuel. hugely different smell, and happens more often than you might think. especially in a real car like that. My most recent experience was a less than overwhelming late 90's mustang, that I could smell when it was stopped behind me at a stoplight, windows up. So it wouldn't surprise me if a new 911 was burning it.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
kmunny19 said:
the odd small may have been that the car was running on race fuel. hugely different smell, and happens more often than you might think. especially in a real car like that. My most recent experience was a less than overwhelming late 90's mustang, that I could smell when it was stopped behind me at a stoplight, windows up. So it wouldn't surprise me if a new 911 was burning it.
Silly to run race gas unless it was heavily modified, as you get zero advantage over what the manufacturer recommends. My buddy runs his blown Chevelle on race gas because he has to (dynoed at 802 hp), but a 911 can run on pump gas.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Andy69 said:
Silly to run race gas unless it was heavily modified, as you get zero advantage over what the manufacturer recommends. My buddy runs his blown Chevelle on race gas because he has to (dynoed at 802 hp), but a 911 can run on pump gas.
Doesn't necessarily need to be heavily modified, just tuned for it- especially for cars with forced induction. You could install a piggy back ECU on a 911 turbo that would up allow upping the boost for race gas and probably get some significant extra power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts