Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride and the house was eerily quiet when I got back....the power is off, I have a full charge on my laptop but I had to use dial-up to get on-line. If it doesn't come back on pretty soon I may need to pull my truck around and run an extension cord from the inverter to the modem and router......lol

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's back on......for being rural, in the 25 years we have lived here I don't think the power has EVER been down for more than a couple of hours.....and that happens very rarely.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tomk96......for what a generator costs and the noise it makes, I will just plug into my truck....I got the biggest battery I could in December and I could run my modem and router all day without starting it up to charge.

It is almost 40 degrees out and the sun is shining, house is 65 with no fire or blower.. Kicker is, I was doing my laundry....but, no matter it's back anyhow.

G

·
Touch0Gray said:
I went for a ride and the house was eerily quiet when I got back....the power is off, I have a full charge on my laptop but I had to use dial-up to get on-line. If it doesn't come back on pretty soon I may need to pull my truck around and run an extension cord from the inverter to the modem and router......lol
Two years ago we were in a campground outside of Madras, Oregon.

I got talking with the fellow 1 over from us about some modifications he had made to his 5th wheel.

Turned out the entire roof of the trailer was a solar collector cell and he had rigged to trailer up with inverters.

He was able, when he was at home, to pull the trailer up the side of the house, plug the house into the trailer and power the house off the solar panels on the trailer.

He said he was able to produce enough electric off the trailer that if the facilities existed he could sell back to the grid.

Turns out this fellow was father to a lawyer I work with quite a bit here and he confirmed to me that his Dad, just off the panels, was able to produce excess electricity to the house requirements and that Hydro had been around to check and make sure he hadn't diverted their feed to run a grow-op.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
tomk96......for what a generator costs and the noise it makes, I will just plug into my truck....I got the biggest battery I could in December and I could run my modem and router all day without starting it up to charge.

It is almost 40 degrees out and the sun is shining, house is 65 with no fire or blower.. Kicker is, I was doing my laundry....but, no matter it's back anyhow.
honda generators are very quiet. expensive, but very quiet. there are several that get used at the WORS races and i'm always impressed at how quiet they are.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quiet is what my house is with no 60 cycle hum or refrigerator....I mean REALLY quiet......

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
toomanybikes said:
Two years ago we were in a campground outside of Madras, Oregon.

I got talking with the fellow 1 over from us about some modifications he had made to his 5th wheel.

Turned out the entire roof of the trailer was a solar collector cell and he had rigged to trailer up with inverters.

He was able, when he was at home, to pull the trailer up the side of the house, plug the house into the trailer and power the house off the solar panels on the trailer.

He said he was able to produce enough electric off the trailer that if the facilities existed he could sell back to the grid.

Turns out this fellow was father to a lawyer I work with quite a bit here and he confirmed to me that his Dad, just off the panels, was able to produce excess electricity to the house requirements and that Hydro had been around to check and make sure he hadn't diverted their feed to run a grow-op.

When I re-do my roof, there will probably be photo-voltaic panels on the roof of the shed dormer.

I just walked up the hill in the woods and I have 2 big dead oak trees. I need to get in there and hack them up, maybe 2 days work just to block them out for two guys with saws.

My total in gas for the winter to date is about 400 bucks and it has been a cold year. It would be way cool to be able to generate my own electricity...maybe a dyno-hub, a good movie and a trainer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.