Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Shut up legs!
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is this Colnago CX1 on ebay I saw that had a very attractive starting bid of $1099. The auction ended, without sale, before I decided to buy it. So I asked the seller to relist it so I can grab it for sure. He did so and I was grateful. I was only looking at the smaller sized uploaded photos he posted on ebay, and everything looked pretty legit. However when I used the photo links he posted in the auction for bigger resolutions, I realized something odd. The warning label on the seattube had chinese and japanese characters
For a second, I thought maybe that's legit since the CX1 were made in Asia. However when I checked out another CX1 of the same year that was selling for a bit more money, I noticed the warning label there was in English and had a mentioning of Cambrio Italy. Basically the same label found on my EPS. I am almost certain this is a fake, but would like you guys to confirm it.

Here is the label:

Also, should the rivets to the cable mount be painted over?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got the frame on e-bay....but the seller looked legit....100 % feedback, bike shop in Texas somewhere. I have not heard/read about fake CX-1 but I am not an expert on this. I recall that when the CX-1 first came out, someone on this forum (I think) posted a picture of that label to bemoan the fact that Colnago was sourcing their frame manufacturing to Taiwan.

Hopefully some one else will post who knows more than I do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The rivets on my bike are bare like the ones in the photo . Do you ever go on Bike Forums? If so Lowcel has the same frame as me, and if I recall correctly he bought from Competitive Cycle, so you could ask him.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The rivets on my bike are bare like the ones in the photo . Do you ever go on Bike Forums? If so Lowcel has the same frame as me, and if I recall correctly he bought from Competitive Cycle, so you could ask him.
I can check mine when I get home tonight. I purchased mine from Wrench science so I know it is genuine.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Everything looks legit to me. I love my bike but to be honest if I were going to go through the trouble of making a fake Colnago it would not be a 2009 CX1.

Please excuse the very crappy photos. I'm getting ready to go for a ride so I didn't feel like breaking out the dslr.

Serial number is white.

Rivets are silver

Writing is scribbly.

·
Shut up legs!
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Lowcel. Your pics and confirmation are very helpful especially on the serial number. I was 100% certain it's a fake when I saw the serial. I have always thought Colnago stamp their serial number on the rear dropout or the front derailleur mount only. Their choice of printing it on the bottom bracket is surprising

·
Registered
66 Posts
No, cable stops and rest of frame are still in perfect condition on mine.Paint has held up fine. I have had it for two years but only ride it in good conditions. I ride one of my other bikes when it is crappy out. Is the frame you are looking at used?

·
Shut up legs!
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes the frame I am looking at buying is used. The paint and everything looks good, except for the cable stops which concerns me. As I will be using this bike in all conditions as well as training and racing, I wouldn't want the cable stops to corrode further and rip off. Considering the frame is in such a good condition, I am surprised the cable stops look so crappy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.