Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite a difference between the two, huh? I'm having a hard time deciding, so I need your help. I will be doing 100% road riding here in Michigan with this new bike - I already have a mountain bike and a commuter single speed (mtb style). So, this will be my 3rd bike. I want to get something that is comfortable, stable at speed, and fits well. I love my steel karate Monkey (by surly), so I drawn to the brand. The roads here in Michigan aren't that great. The area that I will mostly be riding in has a very wide shoulder, but the shoulder is at some spots filled with gravel from the dirt roads that empty onto it. Furthermore, there are cracks in the pavement / black top (no deeper/wider than sidewalk cracks). This has me leaning more towards the Cross-check. However, 90% of the people I see riding this road are on traditional road bikes (which of course had me leaning towards the felt). I really like the idea of using bigger tires on the cross-check - up to 700cx37. The biggest felt will accommodate is 700cx25 (and my LBS says "they might fit"....).

So, what do you think?

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
martinman said:
I guess I don't see a difference between the pacer / cross-check / long haul trucker. Is it just geometry?

Cross-check and LHT is already built up too, which is an extra bonus.

different applications... pacer = roadie, cc = cyclocross (cantilever brakes), lht = touring (with 26" wheels for 54s and smaller). geometry will certainly be different

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
I can fit 700x42's on my cross check just fine. The crosscheck is more of a commuter utility bike more than anything, though if your legs are strong enough it'll haul ass. I love the fact that I can ride anything with my cross check, roads, dirt roads, even trails.
The Pacer is probably more what you want. Lots of clearance for wider road tires with a more aggressive geometry than the cross check, but still not as aggressive as your average carbon fiber race machine. Full rack and fender mounts too.
You might also like the Suly's cousin the Salsa Casseroll. Similar bike to the pacer with a slightly different geometry. Also check out the Soma Smoothie ES.

·
Registered
449 Posts
i vote for pacer as well.. i use mine for commuting 20 miles a day.. and as a wet weather weekend bike... absolutely love it...although you cant go wrong with a cross check, but if youre not going to ride cross, there is really no need for it...

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
martinman said:
I guess I don't see a difference between the pacer / cross-check / long haul trucker. Is it just geometry?

Cross-check and LHT is already built up too, which is an extra bonus.

The differences are geometry, tubing used, and the brakes you can use. Also the LHT has a lot more bosses for an extra water bottle, spokes etc.

The Pacer is a strictly road bike built for long reach sidepull brakes. It can fit up to 32mm tires. It has a traditional road bike geometry.

The CC is a cyclocross bike. Kinda like a road race bike but with canti bosses so you can use much wider tires than on a regular road bike.

The LHT is a purpose built touring bike built to haul large loads around the world. It has very long chainstays so if you have panniers in back you don't hit them with your heels. Also it has a much longer headtube to make it easier to get the bars higher without the use of a ton of spacers. You can use up to 45mm tires without fenders. It also uses canti brakes. It probably has much stouter tubing than both the Pacer and the CC in order to handle the heavy loads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.