Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Surly Pacer complete. I'm fine with the stock Tiagra components. Rest are cheesy componets, but I'm not looking for anything fancy. For a grand, can't think of another bike I'd rather get for the price. I know she ain't no light-weight, but neither is my Steamroller and I'm fine with that.

I'll be using the bike for occassional weekend rides, maybe a century here and there. Maybe some expedition-ish trips one day? My main road ride is a Surly Steamroller that I'll never part with. Just wondering what the general consensus was with the Pacer. My Steamer is a 56 which fits me very well, and looking at the specs, I should still go with a 56 Pacer (?).

Any reason I should NOT get the Pacer?

PS: Before anyone comments, I have no interest in the Cross Check. I like the road geo better on the Pacer and will not race cross with this bike.

EDIT: Ok, another contender just stepped up - Salsa Casseroll Double.

EDIT PS: Well, I guess I haven't done as much research/searching as I thought. There was a topic exactly like this a couple of weeks ago.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=218805

Mods, please delete this redundant thread.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just got back to you.
I really dig the Pacer. It is at the top of my short list. The Casseroll may be hard to get now. I also just got a load of the Specialized Allez steel. It comes in a really nice looking black for 2011. Much less in the way of components, but also $300-$400 less which keeps my marriage healthier.
I have a Casseroll single (awesome) and a Tricross for bad weather and everything else, so I think the cheaper bike may be good for me.
Let us know how the Pacer works out for you.
Have fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I built my Pacer (52cm) this past April with a set of used 105 components and an ancient Brooks Team Pro saddle. It is my go to bike for training, long rides, and errands. I think you will find it a smooth rider, a fine handler and not as heavy as you'd expect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts