Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty surprised LA was unable to make the split in MSR - can't imagine he's too happy about it either. It's still early, but it makes me wonder whether he's lost a step or two. The Giro could be ugly for him.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
OTH, it was the third fastest MSR ever, far as I can tell, and he doesn't have that many race miles in his leg. Like you say, too soon to tell.

·
VIP
275 Posts
Maybe if he's just using this for training/practice it'd be like us going out for a recovery ride but instead hammering the crap out of ourselves because we wanted to show off to some other riders out on the road.
Always better to stick to the plan.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
If you look at his record, you'd see there is nothing to be surprised at.

Armstrong’s record at Milan-San Remo
1993 – 22nd
1994 – 94th
1995 – 73rd
1996 – 11th
1999 – 118th
2000 – 108th
2002 – 44th
2009 – 125th

·
Trying to return....
418 Posts
According to LA at the post-race, he positioned himself poorly at the early stages which meant he missed the early opportunities.

·
Registered
832 Posts
stevesbike said:
I'm pretty surprised LA was unable to make the split in MSR - can't imagine he's too happy about it either. It's still early, but it makes me wonder whether he's lost a step or two. The Giro could be ugly for him.
I'm not surprised. He knew a five-day stage race was coming up with one day of rest. The goodwill mission was accomplished, as far as showing up in Italy, conducting the press conference, and doing the race.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Recovery....

I wonder how his recovery will go.. I mean, 298 K then start a 5 day race.. That's insane! It'll be interesting to see how he recovers from Saturday.. Contador I'm sure is fresh, he's I'm sure tired.. It takes me a week to fully recover from a century, I couldn't imagine however going out and doing another in a few days..

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Ray_from_SA said:
According to LA at the post-race, he positioned himself poorly at the early stages which meant he missed the early opportunities.
Plus, his "brakes were rubbing".

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Mosovich said:
I wonder how his recovery will go.. I mean, 298 K then start a 5 day race.. That's insane! It'll be interesting to see how he recovers from Saturday.. Contador I'm sure is fresh, he's I'm sure tired.. It takes me a week to fully recover from a century, I couldn't imagine however going out and doing another in a few days..
Contador just did Paris-Nice, bud.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
FondriestFan said:
Contador just did Paris-Nice, bud.
that was a week ago, bud.
That being said, if a classic, a rest day and then a 5 day race is too much, how is LA supposed to do the tour?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
surprised LA didn't make the split?

I was a first, now I'm might be convinced that this was more or less the plan

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I'm sure he only entered MSR because there was gonna be some Global Cancer thing with LiveStrong at MSR actually.

He looked to be doing pretty decent actually right up till he got caught out in the wrong group, as he said. Well, of course, that's what he said but it looks pretty plausible honestly.

Castilla y Leon is the race he's going with the intention of actually racing should the opportunity arise.
With regards to that race, I think Levi could well be the leader, if what Alberto Contador said means much : He mentioned the course has changed since the last time and it suits Leipheimer more.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
FondriestFan said:
Plus, his "brakes were rubbing".
That was pretty darned cool indeed back then. I've actually rode with that on my bike up till I realized when I got home that damn, my brakes WERE rubbing. Needless to say, I didn't have a great ride though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts