Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went down to Surrey (near Guildford) for a bright Sunday ride with Muncher and Dave - Dave and I are both in north London so had a 16 mile head start on the day getting to Waterloo then to Chilworth

Surrey is a great place to ride - very pretty, lots of testing hills but I've always struggled to take any worthwhile pictures - these are only ok but I deleted a bunch - one of the problems is that it's very green with lots of trees so lotsa roads look the same and a green shadow dimpled canopy is only so interesting in pictures - what I can say is that riding there is a treat

these first pictures are heading up and over into Ewhurst

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
narrow canyon climbs

alot of the small roads up hills are one lane at best and the road surface is often terrible - the climbs are sometimes sunken and can feel like you're riding in a narrow canyon with cars... this is my favourite sunken climb in Surrey - we were passed by 15-20 cyclists heading down - none of those pictures came out...

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
I wandered around Surrey for several days, about twenty years ago. Absolutely wonderful. A magical, storybook vision of country village life, yet only a train ride away from London. My favorite town was Dorking, but there were plenty others, too. Thanks for the pics.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
Great shots. Looks like a really nice ride. I need to get taking some more pics myself, it's been a while.

I think that oncoming vehicles sign.... looks like it's at a bend in the road. If the bend is shallow enough to take at high speed, there are going to be cars in the middle of the road coming out of it.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Words to warm any cyclists heart.

M.J. said:
......rest stop at a pub
Those tree covered lanes look a lot like rural Maryland around here.

Great post but it is really odd at first seeing everyone riding on the left side of the road.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Wow Green!

Nice shots and nice roads. I wish I had roads like that. All mine are open, dry, and going almost straight up (or feels that way anyway).

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Lol..........

If the "British Empire" had had their way the entire civilized world would be driving on the left side now. :D

Seriously, those are some nice pics and looks like some great riding too. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.