Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got a Cane Creek Thudbuster LT on my hardtail and my stoker's got a ST on the tandem. Both uses get rave reviews. I don't know about the rigid designs in the article, I suppose the tech is similar to my carbon Synapse and while it is comfortable, it does not absorb hard bumps like the Thudbuster. We had a vertical spring loaded one on the tandem and it was ok until it broke.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a thudbuster LT on my hardtail. It works remarkably well. Considering it's effectiveness, the $120 I spent is pretty reasonable. I do think I'll go with a slightly stiffer elastomer in the future though.

I've also tried a flexing seatpost on the giant road bikes. They work but far more subtly.

I'm guessing the canyon/ergo might be a good compromise between the two. Their distribution network seems close to nonexistent in the US however. Maybe that will change in the future.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
In May Canyon announced their intention to enter the US market in 2017. It's still unclear whether it will be closer to Jan 1 or Dec 31.
Oh thank god! I was feeling suffocated by the limited choices a market that's about 1:1 frames to consumers has to offer.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
So reading between the lines here; if you're interested in a suspension seatpost and suspension stem (per your other OP) and assuming you're talking about for a road bike, that might be a pretty good indicator you should look at your bike fit and tires/PSI choice first.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have one of those Ergon seatposts. I already have wide, low-pressure tyres that do a great job of smoothing out normal roads, but there is no tyre fat enough to smooth out speed bumps, or lumpy fields if I have to divert off-road.

The seatpost has a fair amount of travel - enough to insulate my posterior from sudden perturbations. There is a little bit of bounciness due to the lack of damping, but it's not too bad. There is surprisingly little weight penalty over a normal seatpost. Overall I like it, but it's nowhere near worth the steep price.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Your bent arms and legs tend to make a really good suspension if you are just looking at comfort.....

If you are looking at performance; a suspension seatpost isn't doing anything.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Most of the roads around here have a crack every 10-20 feet caused by winter freeze heaves. After riding a few miles it feels like someone is kicking you in the ass with steel toed boots every few seconds. I've taken to riding my soft tail MTB with smooth tires. The Ergon/Canyon post looks very nice, but that's a lot of money. I'll have to think about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It may be way beyond what you want to spend but I have a Cirrius Bodyfloat on my Cannondale Slate and it's phenomenal! I have a bad shoulder along with stenosis and some nerve damage from a major car accident (not to mention ex BMX and MX racer) and it's brought new joy to road biking again for me.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
I had a UST suspension seatpost for a few months after I built up my road bike. It actually caused more sitbone discomfort than a regular ol' aluminum posts. I boiled it down to the fact that my bum was constantly moving up and down in relation to my knees and ankles, as well as all the parts on the bike that make it go. In other words, the geometry of the bike was constantly in flux.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
It may be way beyond what you want to spend but I have a Cirrius Bodyfloat on my Cannondale Slate and it's phenomenal! I have a bad shoulder along with stenosis and some nerve damage from a major car accident (not to mention ex BMX and MX racer) and it's brought new joy to road biking again for me.
A $400 seatpost may seem expensive, but this thing looks like it could rival the shock in some full-suspension mountain bikes. Cirrus Cycle's BodyFloat Seatpost Review?Issue 25 Sneak Peek - Cyclocross Magazine - Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
I had a UST suspension seatpost for a few months after I built up my road bike. It actually caused more sitbone discomfort than a regular ol' aluminum posts. I boiled it down to the fact that my bum was constantly moving up and down in relation to my knees and ankles, as well as all the parts on the bike that make it go. In other words, the geometry of the bike was constantly in flux.
Well, yes. As you bob up and down, your fit theoretically changes. This is the feeling I get with the Tamer seatpost on my hybrid. It never used to bother me, but either I'm more anal about my fit, or my body is just older now.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I was wondering what kind of effect it might have if it traveled to any significant degree.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
effin amazing that a so-called faux suspension seatpost for a road bike can cost 250 usd. Meanwhile, the chinese are selling their carbon fiber ones on ebay for $30 shipped max!
Yes, I too would hate to have my ass-to-pedal length being changed due to a flexing seat. After all, I've spent a great deal of time fine tuning my seatpost length down to the millimeter, literally, that's how sensitive I'm

·
Registered
8 Posts
A $400 seatpost may seem expensive, but this thing looks like it could rival the shock in some full-suspension mountain bikes. Cirrus Cycle's BodyFloat Seatpost Review?Issue 25 Sneak Peek - Cyclocross Magazine - Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos
To be honest, I don't think I'd ever buy a full suspension Mountain Bike again after riding this seat post. Get an adjustable suspension under your butt without the loss of rear suspension. I have a ton of injuries I contend with and the road around here leave a lot to be desired and the more comfortable I am, the faster and farther I can go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
effin amazing that a so-called faux suspension seatpost for a road bike can cost 250 usd. Meanwhile, the chinese are selling their carbon fiber ones on ebay for $30 shipped max!
Yes, I too would hate to have my ass-to-pedal length being changed due to a flexing seat. After all, I've spent a great deal of time fine tuning my seatpost length down to the millimeter, literally, that's how sensitive I'm
Bikes are designed for the seat stays and seat posts to flex and believe it or not, your ass to pedal length is changing. My Defy has that D shaped post and it wasn't until I let my wife ride the bike and I was behind her that I realized just how much the seat moved.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Bikes are designed for the seat stays and seat posts to flex and believe it or not, your ass to pedal length is changing. My Defy has that D shaped post and it wasn't until I let my wife ride the bike and I was behind her that I realized just how much the seat moved.

Man... Me too. I'm crazy sensitive, well, my knees are, the rest of me doesn't care. But mms are no joke. I'm off the bike right now healing the right knee. I'm using 3 bikes ATM, the road bike, easy on the knees, the back up road bike on the trainer, easier but not perfectly fine, and the wild card, the mtb. The back up bike is OK until I start really hard interval workouts and the like, the things the trainer excels at! The mtb can really hurt, I try to get them all in sync but I just can't seem to get the adjustment to work. At least this year... even my primary road bike feels a little off. But, to your point, mms REALLY matter, at least to me as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts