Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you getting ready for flyfishing?.....did you buy any new rods, reels, flys, etc...
I was looking at a 3W rod for some of the smaller streams by me...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
well not Svend

but hoping to get to Loreto Mexico this Spring for Jacks,Roosters, Yellowtail and such.Maybe get some rivers in as well. Hope to get a late spring steelhead run in ore as well. Have to stay Salt for now. Halibut are starting the Spawn,great on an 8 wt. this was about 2 weeks ago here in San Diego. Olive Clouser slow retrieve

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
atpjunkie said:
but hoping to get to Loreto Mexico this Spring for Jacks,Roosters, Yellowtail and such.Maybe get some rivers in as well. Hope to get a late spring steelhead run in ore as well. Have to stay Salt for now. Halibut are starting the Spawn,great on an 8 wt. this was about 2 weeks ago here in San Diego. Olive Clouser slow retrieve

SWEET....looks like a blast....did you keep any?

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
physasst said:
Are you getting ready for flyfishing?.....did you buy any new rods, reels, flys, etc...
I was looking at a 3W rod for some of the smaller streams by me...

I have a St Croix 5wt and HAD an Orvis battenkill until I lost it on the Rogue River in OR...doh! CX frame is in my future before any more fly gear.....would love a 2-3w as most of the stuff I do is high Sierra, where an 9 incher is huge (that's what she says at least):D

Have two trips tentatively planned this summer.....stalking the elusive Golden

On all things fly I defer to atp, he guided me several years ago on the San Juan in NM, first time I ever caught a 20" on a #20.....in this arena the guy is king.....in fact just last weekend he caught a 15" bonefish in SD bay....bastid!

here's a lunker Golden I caught in Pioneer Basin:

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
il sogno said:
Now, now... Don't fret Svend, size isn't everything. :D
yeah, but that's even less than size...

;-)

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
jeez, at close to 10k feet those guys just don't get very big......tough crowd, now I'm gonna have to post a really big one.......

·
I don't exist
2,029 Posts
il songo, that's Belo!

In your avatar. He picked my son (5 at the time) to go cenetr ring to conduct the Circus band. Hellofa performer, Belo that is..

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
if any of you loungers fish the western sierras (like east of bakersfield and north of kernville) and want my secret spot pm me(if I was still in cali I wouldn't be making this offer:D ). Its a small stream that flows into the kern. Its got native rainbows, native goldens, and stocked rainbows. My biggest was a 20+" rainbow(or so I think). This creek is 2 feet wide in places. The goldens are the purtiest fish I've ever seen and put up quite a fight for their small size. You got to hike and do a little boulder hopping (like 20 minutes worth) but then its like untouched territory. No trail, nothing. Absolutely gorgeous. And there are some nice deep holes. This one I caught about 10 fish all good size in about 15 casts. That was about 40 minute hike/boulder hop down.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
svend said:
I have a St Croix 5wt and HAD an Orvis battenkill until I lost it on the Rogue River in OR...doh! CX frame is in my future before any more fly gear.....would love a 2-3w as most of the stuff I do is high Sierra, where an 9 incher is huge (that's what she says at least):D

Have two trips tentatively planned this summer.....stalking the elusive Golden

On all things fly I defer to atp, he guided me several years ago on the San Juan in NM, first time I ever caught a 20" on a #20.....in this arena the guy is king.....in fact just last weekend he caught a 15" bonefish in SD bay....bastid!

here's a lunker Golden I caught in Pioneer Basin:

Much respect, Svend. Most of these idyits wouldn't even know that catching a Golden at all is cause for celebration. That one's a bit wee, but it's infinity bigger than the lack of goldens I've pulled in.

I have brought in a wild rainbow on Power Bait in Saddle Bag lake in the Tioga pass.
Yearly trip is in June Lake area. We haven't hiked enough to see much more than rainbows. Fishing tends to become a side activity to be done with much drinking, and it's hard to lug a full cooler too far at that altitude. Down in the vicinity of the lakes, we regularly load up on 10-14-inchers.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Ok, I'm not a total fish virgin - I've caught rainbows my ownself. Dad stopped taking me when I started getting bigger fish than him.

I goggled Golden Trout. Is that what we are talking about? See, I've learned something new. Svend's teeny fish is the state fish of California.

(Yes, all you Lounge newbies - I intentionally spelled it goggle)

Golden Trout
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Golden Trout (Oncorhynchus aguabonita) is a species of freshwater fish in the salmon family (family Salmonidae) of order Salmoniformes. It is one of the trouts. These fish are commonly found at elevations of 10,000 feet above sea level. Some evolutionary biologists consider the Golden Trout to be a subspecies of the rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. It is easy to understand, given the similarity of the Golden Trout to the Redband Trout, another Oncorhynchus mykiss subspecies.

The Golden Trout was designated as the state fish of California in 1947. Populations have been in steady decline for decades. As a result, the California department of fish and game [1] signed an agreement with federal agencies in september of 2004 to work on restoring back country habitat. Conservationists have also been attempting to introduce Golden Trout to other bodies of water, such as Mohave Lake in Nevada/Arizona.

·
Super Moderator
19,519 Posts
HAL9000 said:
In your avatar. He picked my son (5 at the time) to go cenetr ring to conduct the Circus band. Hellofa performer, Belo that is..
I was looking for an avatar and saw the ad on the right side of the screen. I figure he'll do for now. :cool:

·
I don't exist
2,029 Posts
il sogno said:
I was looking for an avatar and saw the ad on the right side of the screen. I figure he'll do for now. :cool:
He has to be seen to be believed. He is surely Circ quality. I'll bet he has been approched by them to join. Though as a 5th gen. performer, an probably all with Ringling he most likely has deep roots & loyalities there.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Friction you have my e. send the locale

love those kind of streams. I'll grab Svend. I have a creek near Yosemite that holds big goldies as well Svend and not too bad of a hike. Folks ya have to understand Golden Trout
is the Holy gRail of Fish. They are the most beautiful things you can behold O. Aquabonita (pretty water) are damn near technicolor and at high altitude with long winters size gets stunted. Nice Fish Svend. No Bonefish was released along with some Halibut and Spotted Bay BAss.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
okay so I checked the archives

about 3 years ago Svend is tellin' me about all the high altitude Colorado and Ca Flyfishing he has done. He was raised on Rocky Mtn Beaver Ponds tossin attractors at Trout. So I took him on a little trip and put him into some fish. So here's some of Svend and Me with Onchorhychus Mykiss of a larger variety. Some of these are Cutbow Hybrids as well.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
please note all these fish

were released and were all caught on size 20 or smaller barbless and 5 or 6x tippet.
please note size 22 Red Hot in lip in close up. lok real close and you can see the tippet

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
oh and if they ever had

a cycling/flyfishing/surfing competition I'd have more Raibow Jerseys than Merckx.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
atpjunkie said:
a cycling/flyfishing/surfing competition I'd have more Raibow Jerseys than Merckx.
ATP
Didn't you scold me once for handling a fish all improper (and my friend was, dangling it from a hook).
You got your naked paws all over those bad boys. I thought that killed the trout slowly by contaminating their slime. Educate me. Am I misinformed?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
handling with dry hands is bad

my hands are thoroughly wetted. T^his greatly reduces the removalof fish slime. please note, fish bellies are always supported and fish in these pics are briefly raised from underwater shot and released. Their 'air time' is in the seconds. (why we are usually squatting close to the h20). 2 fish shot briefly on bank and put back after proper revival.

what hurts the fish (the most) is holding them
a) by the lip without supporting the bodyweight
b) by the tail (same as above)
c) with dry hands
d) by the Gills (BIG NO NO)
e) pulling them into the air while attached to your line

please also note, fine mesh catch and release nets in pics

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.