Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done the southwest CT MS Ride before? It's the one that starts and ends at Sherwood Island SP in Westport.

I'm trying to find out what the route is like for the 62 mile ride and when I emailed the chapter, they told me they couldn't provide me with the route for security reasons :confused: - whatever those might be???

Thanks,
Peter

· Registered
151 Posts
I've never done it but in that area of the state it must be pretty flat. I'd also like to think that with the possibility of inexperienced riders who are there to raise money not because they're riders, that for the most part it should be on lower traffic roads.

If you're looking for CT rides there's a ride out of Bethel this weekend (routes of 4-100 miles)

http://hatcitycyclists.org/cyclefest/cyclefest2006.html

· Registered
635 Posts
i can ask around, i live a few towns over. things get somewhat hilly as you head inland though. nothing crazy, but it is a series of vallys, so unless you ride down the middle of them you are either going up or down, very rarely do things stay flat for long unless you are riding right down the low point of the valley. that said the vertical is never more than like 400ft or so on the hills. if the ride stays along the coast expect it to be flat w/ some wind, especially this time of year. if it goes inland it gets slightly hilly

btw, when is it, id be interested in doing it depending on the time of year

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for checking.

I emailed them back yesterday and asked if they could email me the route instead of posting in on the web... no reply as of Saturday morning. It really puzzles me as to what security concerns they have. I just did the Central CT MS Ride last weekend and they had cue sheets and maps posted on their web site for weeks and training rides every weekend leading up to the Ride.

The ride in Westport is September 17.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I have an answer

My wife, who is from Westport where this ride begins, was visiting her mother there over the weekend. She ran into a friend of her's from HS and her friend's dad who is an avid cyclist. He had done this ride in the past and thought that they didn't post the ride ahead of time because they wanted to discourage people from riding that didn't sign up and/or raise funds to support the MS Society. By not posting the route, people would have a harder time riding the route and taking advantage of the rest stops and support without having signed up to ride in the first place.

He did think that the route worked its way north into Fairfield and Easton, possibly near the Hemlock and Saugatuck Reservoirs and then south again into northern Norwalk before returning to Sherwood Island.

· Registered
203 Posts
PCM said:
Has anyone done the southwest CT MS Ride before? It's the one that starts and ends at Sherwood Island SP in Westport.

I'm trying to find out what the route is like for the 62 mile ride and when I emailed the chapter, they told me they couldn't provide me with the route for security reasons :confused: - whatever those might be???

Thanks,
Peter
I did it last year. I remember it being a pretty nice route. The houses down by the shoreline there are mighty impressive. i.e., serious $$$$$. Apparently that area of CT does not like having cyclist's route arrows being painted on the road, so they just tack up paper arrow markings on convenient lightpoles, etc. It can be easy to miss one if you're not paying attention. I just counted it out -- there are 42 turns in the first 22 miles as they wind you down the coast. Things settle down somewhat once you turn inland. I don't really remember it being "hilly" once you turn inland, but it sure wasn't "flat" either. I don't recall any "monster" climbs though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.