Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm brand new here and I really need some input regarding my bike.

I have this Scott Boulder from 1990. It's exactly the same, except the brakes where changed to cantilever somewhere back in time and I fitted road-slick tires on it, as I use it for commuting.

The bike is in pretty neat condition and components are all good to keep, except the frame is showing some wear and has two cracks: both the top tube and down tube have a crack at the junction with the headtube. Before it breaks on me, I plan on changing the frame.

Basically, I need my ride to commute daily to work, which would average about a 80 KM per week. I also plan on keeping the costs down as much as possible, this is why I want to re-use as many components as possible, since their good and work well.

I've already read a couple of things regarding frames and what to look for but still can't see clearly through all of it. I would also like to change the MTB frame to a road frame while keeping a flat-bar to get a better riding position while commuting.

For example, Would it be possible to swap components from my to a frame of this type? I know I will need to change wheels, probably the seat post but the fork should fit (it's 1 1/8"). The Front and back derailleurs should fit, right?

Has any of you went through such a process an share their experience/advise/tips on such a project?
Please feel free to comment any aspect of this project.

Thanks a million!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Some stuff is going to swap over... rear derailleur, brakes, cockpit controls & headset (assuming the scott is 1 1/8"). Front derailleur & seatpost, only if the same diameter.
-Bottom bracket=probably, the scott's is likely also 68mm (could be 73mm BB width though).
-You will need a new fork for sure, one that's for 700c. The brakes won't line up with the wheels & the axle-crown length is longer on the Scott (probably 390mm vs 370mm for a 700c)... just asking for trouble.
-Gonna need all new cables & housings. Do you have tools or access to them for swapping out stuff (bottom bracket, cassette, chain, etc)?
-Your cassette may not fit on the 700c wheelset (check spacing). If you need a new cassette, you're probably in for a new chain & chainrings(or crankset) since they've all worn in with each other. If you got lots of miles on the current drivetrain, it's worn and adding in new stuff will likely make it start skipping.

You may be better off with craigslist, one of nashbars MTN bike frames or getting an inexpensive commuter from nashbar on sale/20% off coupon or bikes direct.

With the nashbar alu mtn frame, you still need to check the spacing on your rear wheel (should be 135mm) and that your current fork/headset is 1 1/8". The early 90's still had lots of bikes with 1". You'll still likely need new seatpost, frt der & seatpost clamp to fit that frame.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.