Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the vast awareness, are there any qualified to speak to the problems I will encounter when I try to install a Coda 2X9 crank on my 8-speed 105 roadie? I anticipate shortening the chain, unless I should replace it altogether with a 9-speed chain. I know I will need a new splined BB to replace the square taper in there now. The old 105 crank is also a double, 52/39. The new Coda is a 44/29. 10-Q

·
Registered
591 Posts
breadrunner said:
In the vast awareness, are there any qualified to speak to the problems I will encounter when I try to install a Coda 2X9 crank on my 8-speed 105 roadie? I anticipate shortening the chain, unless I should replace it altogether with a 9-speed chain. I know I will need a new splined BB to replace the square taper in there now. The old 105 crank is also a double, 52/39. The new Coda is a 44/29. 10-Q
Your front derailer cage has the wrong curvature for a 44 ring,but if you can get it low enough it may still shift. I have used a standard road FD with a 46 ring,so there is some latitude. An 8 speed chain will work, but so will a 9 speed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Braze-on

Rusty Coggs said:
Your front derailer cage has the wrong curvature for a 44 ring,but if you can get it low enough it may still shift. I have used a standard road FD with a 46 ring,so there is some latitude. An 8 speed chain will work, but so will a 9 speed.
The bike is a carbon tube Bianchi Vitara with a braze-on FD. Maybe I should get a couple of slightly larger rings. Any recommendations on brand?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
What is it?...

breadrunner said:
A 44/29 is either 2 rings of a MTB triple or a compact. What is the bolt ring diameter. What BB spline does it take? Shimano MTB, Shimano road, ISIS, C'dale propriatory? What is 10Q?

TF

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TurboTurtle said:
A 44/29 is either 2 rings of a MTB triple or a compact. What is the bolt ring diameter. What BB spline does it take? Shimano MTB, Shimano road, ISIS, C'dale propriatory? What is 10Q?

TF
It's a Cannd EXP 2 X 9 crank for shimano splined bb, I assumed when I bought it. Didn't know Cannd had its own bb design. Quoting the King - 10-Q, 10-Q very much.

·
Registered
591 Posts
2x9

TurboTurtle said:

TF
There were 2x9 MTB setups. Cdale also offered cranks using the octalink spline.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bet RC knows

Rusty Coggs said:
There were 2x9 MTB setups. Cdale also offered cranks using the octalink spline.
In replacing the steel (?) rings on this crank with bigger, is it advisable to go to alum. for quiet trail riding? What brand is most compatible?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Rings

breadrunner said:
In replacing the steel (?) rings on this crank with bigger, is it advisable to go to alum. for quiet trail riding? What brand is most compatible?
You neeed to match bolt pattern and Bolt Circle Diameter, and be sure you are going big enough to get derailer close enough,then see what is available. A bigger big ring might mean the need for a bigger small ring if too big a spread gets you in derailer capicity trouble. A pinned and ramped big ring will make for better shifting. You might be ahead to start with a more suitable crank,IMO.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Crank-Set

I suspect the "braze-on" derailleur won't be able to adjust low enough for the 44/29 rings. I tried that once. What's wrong with the old 105 crank-set? If you are looking for smaller rings you could run a 50/38 set on the 105 crank. TA rings from http://peterwhitecycles.com might be a good choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts