Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cumudgitude
703 Posts
Tradition. Typically in the USA bicycles have had the front controls (both brake and derailleur) on the left side and rear controls on the right. Some other countries reverse this. I decided to hook my front brake to the right lever because I'm right handed. Therefore my dominant, stronger hand controls the brake that provides the most oomph for stopping the bike.

However, there is something important you should think about, and this is a serious safety concern. Most people riding fixed will ride with only a front brake. That's because you can use your feet to decelerate the bike, adding more stopping power in the place of a rear brake. Riding a single speed you can't do that. I strongly recommend you pick up a second brake to install for your rear wheel.

·
Cumudgitude
703 Posts
Whoops! My misunderstanding. Yeah, you should be fine swapping. I'm running the setup you're talking about right now. The only thing to keep in mind is your cable housing length may be a little off. It's possible, but not guaranteed. Worst case scenario is you have to run down to you local bike shop and buy 1'6" of cable housing and play with it until you get exactly what you want.

And it is really handy to have a hand on the strong brake while signaling with my left.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.