Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,707 Posts
You're kidding right? No details about the bike at all? No details about the current XT drivetrain? How can anyone answer your question?

·
Registered
146 Posts
No.
If your bike isn't having mechanical issues, no need to replace anything. Save your pennies, ride that thing til it falls apart, then get a new or gently used bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unless there is a problem ride it as-is.

If they need replacement you will need to get ones with the same cable pull ratio... Staying MTB will also likley be easier but given the vintage of your bike anything Shimano mtb 9 speed or less and maybe 10 and less for road should be the same for the rear at least and likely front. Like for like (long cage, double, triple, etc.).

For mix and match.... I run an 8 speed XTR rear and nine speed tripple XT front on my 3X9 gravel bike with road shifters....np.

·
15,707 Posts
Are you usually so pleasant?

I have a 1999 Cannondale F700. Has 2000 plus miles and I thought I would upgrade before I get back into cycling.
Usually. I do get tired of people joining, not looking around at all then posting the same question that someone else asked the day before. Or asking questions like your and not providing any details. Kudos for posting in the correct section.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,430 Posts
Are you usually so pleasant?

I have a 1999 Cannondale F700. Has 2000 plus miles and I thought I would upgrade before I get back into cycling.
Don't mind @cxwrench . He can be grumpy, but he can also be very helpful. Although he has a point that you didn't provide any info in your original post, but you did here, so I will answer.

I'm guessing your 1999 F700 is either an 8 or 9 speed rear cassette, correct. If so, Shimano 8 and 9 speed mountain groups have the same shift pull ratios as Shimano 8, 9 and 10 speed road groups.

The problem lies with getting one of these older sets. You might get lucky and find some new/old stock on eBay. Used is a crap shoot on condition.

Can I ask why you want to change out your derailleurs? A derailleur is really a dumb device that has very little to do with good shifting. The cabling is really where your shift quality is. If you shift quality is suffering, the first thing I would do is change your cables and housings. And be sure to use good quality stainless steel cables, not the cheaper galvanized cables that eventually oxidize and create friction.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,430 Posts
Usually. I do get tired of people joining, not looking around at all then posting the same question that someone else asked the day before. Or asking questions like your and not providing any details. Kudos for posting in the correct section.
You have a point on not providing details, but not the other point. You know as well as I that the search function on this site sucks.

·
15,707 Posts
Hello, recommend this R8000 shimano series if you want to replace on your bike.

That is an 11 speed road derailleur and will not work. Please don't try to provide advice if you don't know whether parts are compatible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you've got 9 speed Deore XT, then I would say that 105 (9 speed 5500?) is a downgrade, and even ultegra 9 speed (6500 or 6510?) would not have any benefits. I don't remember if there was a road (105/Ultegra) triple back then either, so that could mean you'd need to go to a double and change cranks. Thinking about it, I think there was in Ultegra, but Im not sure. Nobody I knew had a road triple).

What sort of riding do you plan to do? The other option many people are doing is 1x11 speed, but given you're asking about road derailleurs, I'm guessing you're thinking about riding it on the road/paved trails more? So 1x11 would probably not be your first choice, and a 1x11 upgrade would cost money you don't need to spend.

If you "upgraded" to 10 speed or 11, then you're needing shifters and chain etc, and it's just not worth it.

XT was the second best Shimano mountain bike group, heck, it still is their second best option. Back in 2000 when I really got into cycling, I only saw maybe one bike a year with XTR (the top group), and pretty much everyone I knew had below XT and maybe just one XT component on their bike.

So I'd either replace the cables/housings, clean up and lube up your XT parts and enjoy the bike (XT from then ... heck, probably good for 25,000+ miles + as far as shifters/derailleurs. Chains, cassettes and chainrings are wear items). If you're not confident to do that (there are so many videos on youtube, and it's so satisfying to get that higher end older stuff working. I cleaned up a nice late 90's specialized rockhopper for my fatherinlaw. It had XTR 8speed and XT 8 speed parts. Ended up putting some free wheels on it with zipp hubs, some XT v-brakes. Really nice bike for him to cruise on), then a local mechanic only bike service shop would be where I'd start. If you go into say a local Specialized dealer, then they'll probably try to sell you a new bike and there's a good chance your current bike is older than anyone working in the shop. But a service only shop/mechanic, they'd be more likely to get you running again).

You're in a good spot having a high end bike, and with so few miles on it, some TLC should be great. Do check tires/tubes, as rubber ages, and could be worth looking into repacking the grease in the hubs/headset. Takes you a couple hour's and uses $1 in grease. Does depend on the models, as maybe they're cartridge bearings.

Right, time for work, first call in a few mins. Good luck.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,430 Posts
That is an 11 speed road derailleur and will not work. Please don't try to provide advice if you don't know whether parts are compatible.
It looks like @JoeCheung913 and his post have been jetisoned from RBR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts