Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I should be better prepared. I screwed up and I know it. I run tubular tires and I'm new to cycling; so let me know how dumb this sounds. I just examined at my rear tire and it looks very bald. I feel it needs to be replace now, but I guess I could race on it. I called the local cycle shop and they do not have the model specific replacement I'm currently using. I have a big (tri) race on sunday. I just replaced my front tire a couple hundred miles ago. I have 3 tires that came with the bike originally that are in good shape. Two are used and 1 is new. should I put the tire i'm comfortable with on the rear and put one of the other tires on the front? Changing the rear tire on my cervelo p3 is a PITA due to the rear dropout position. I figured I put my trusted tire on the rear and reglue it, then put the unknown tire on the front which would be a faster fix if it blows in a race.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I don't think putting a risky tire on the front is the answer. It may take longer to swap out the rear, but how long will it take if you crash? The front wheel is where you want the good tire. The bike follows where that wheel goes. If you lose the front at any point, especially in a turn, you will meet the road quickly. The amount of time to swap out a tire should not be a factor in your decision.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
spookyload said:
I don't think putting a risky tire on the front is the answer. It may take longer to swap out the rear, but how long will it take if you crash? The front wheel is where you want the good tire. The bike follows where that wheel goes. If you lose the front at any point, especially in a turn, you will meet the road quickly. The amount of time to swap out a tire should not be a factor in your decision.
I'm with you.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Aaah geez! Not THIS again?

I'm in the vast minority here, but where do you flat most often? Front or rear?

Whichever one you flat the most, put the new tire there.

For me, I flat the rear a whole lot more'n the front so that's where I stick the new tire(s) Then there's the rearwards weight bias, the transmission of force to the ground, etc.

HTH

M

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
better yet by a new tire (doesn't have to be the same model you have). Ask Jens Voigt about front tubular blowouts at speed...

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Ask Joseba Beloki what happens when you lose your front wheel at high speed in a turn.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
SinnerDC2 said:
I just examined at my rear tire and it looks very bald. I feel it needs to be replace now, but I guess I could race on it.
If by "bald" you mean that you can no longer see a tread pattern, just leave the tire where it is. Tread patterns on road bike tires serve no purpose on hard surfaces—they are simply marketing decorations. The chances of getting a flat don't really increase much with a worn tire unless you're beginning to see the threads of the tire carcass.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wim said:
If by "bald" you mean that you can no longer see a tread pattern, just leave the tire where it is. Tread patterns on road bike tires serve no purpose on hard surfaces—they are simply marketing decorations. The chances of getting a flat don't really increase much with a worn tire unless you're beginning to see the threads of the tire carcass.

well crap, sounds like the tire is still good. There is no signs of the wear other than the missing treads.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
wim said:
X2 unless the tread is very thin and you can see the casing ghosts through the surface. I've been racing on a bald Zipp tubular for a few years. BTW I'd never put a sketchy tire on the front - you don't want a flat on the front wheel even though it's easier to fix - you aren't so easy to fix is the way I'd look at it. Good luck Sunday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts