Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I built up a single speed using a Surly "Singleator" for chain tension. How big a P.I.A. will that make it to change to a different size cog?

Assuming I break the chain long enough to accomodate the largest cog I expect to use, will it be too loose when I run a cog two or three teeth smaller? What gear range do you need for racing?

Now that it's built I'm wondering... do I need to keep different lengths of chain around?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Great idea -- I hadn't even thought of that.
Having never raced with fewer than nine cogs I have to wonder -- how much of a range should I expect to need?
Here's my take atmo: The appeal of singlespeed is the simplicity, so just find a gear that works over "most" conditions, and stick with it.

I know there are guys that custom-tune the gear to the race, and I suppose there's some merit to that, but there's also the risk of something going wrong because you were messing with it a half hour before your race.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.