Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bill Dobie
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning - I have had the good fortune to pick up a really nice 2007 Look 595 to add to my choices of things to ride (N+1). The bike is in beautiful shape. Every component on it is in like new condition. The only thing I want to change is the FSA cranks. They are FSA K-Force carbon cranks. BB is FSA MegaExo. BB is english threaded. I have a perfectly good nearly brand new Shimano Ultegra FC-6800 crankset I'd like to install. Question is do I need to replace the BB. I don't have one on hand so I'd have to order it. Thanks for your input!

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
IMO I would swap out the BB to a Shimano branded one. 105 or Ultegra level should be fine and not too expensive. I had a Gossamer / MegaExo setup and moved over to a 105Compact and Ultegra BB. My experience with the MegaExo is they just don't hold up as well as the Shimano BB. I went through two MegaExos in about 3 years but the Ultegra BB has been going strong for a long, long, time. I also seem to recall the shimano crank spindle was very, very, tight in the MegaExo BB. That could have been a fluke though.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,704 Posts
Is your BB 24 or 30mm? Shimano is 24mm, so if your bike uses BB30, you will need not only the Shimano BB, but also an adapter. Both are inexpensive.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,704 Posts
Answered.

OK, so that means he can use the old BB. However, a Shimano BB is cheap enough. I would replace it, rather than have to go in there later when the cheap FSA one goes south.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts